Chapter 12

Thanks to @-Mischief-Managed- for the awesome cover.

    It is unique, the feeling of a kiss. Sebastian's lips caress mine, sending an unforgettable sensation throughout my body. There is an ignition inside of me, and I have the opportunity to back away, to push myself off of him, but I cannot. Half of me is gripped on tight, not willing to put an end to the pleasant feeling on my lips and in the pit of my stomach. His hand rests on the side of my face, holding back any stray hairs from slipping down and interrupting. It is a gentle kiss, no force, just pure instinct. When it does come to an end, I find myself wanting more.

There are no words spoken between us. Sebastian pulls me into his hold and continues to embrace me through the night. No nightmare or terror comes to me, but a dream instead. A dream about my mate, about our kiss and so much more. My mind will not let go of the feeling. When we connected, it felt overwhelmingly right. As if my lips were only to be used by his, only to be enjoyed by him, and the other way around. I want to kiss again, to kiss every time I see his handsome face or every time he avoids my questions or every time we are laying in bed and about to drift off. Maybe I am addicted to the feeling.

It is around three in the morning when a disruptive and firm knock breaks out on the other side of the bedroom door. My eyes fly open, and my heart hurdles from my chest. Sebastian's arms tenderly let go of me as he gets up and walks to answer it. It all seems like part of my dream that the bedroom door has now become the front door. Who is here for a visit today? I steadily sit up and rub my knuckles into my eyes. When Sebastian opens the door enough to reveal little, the light from the hallway trickles in.

"Andrew, what is it?" His voice is rough, making me pay attention. I only hear murmurs of Andrews' voice, not enough to make out words. "Who was it?"

Sebastian glances back at me, and I straighten up.

"I have to go," he says, and I swiftly climb out of bed.

"I'm coming with you."

"Evangeline—"

I locate the robe and wrap it around my body. "I'm coming with you. Unless you are suddenly charging into battle?"

He sighs.

I grab Sebastian a shirt and hand it to him at the door. He takes it and lets me through. Andrew greets me, and the three of us head out of the house. The temperature outside seems to be merely freezing, so I stay close to my mate and keep my arms close to my body. "Where are we going?"

"To the west border," Andrew informs me. "There has been a killing."

"A killing? Who was killed?" I look up at Sebastian.

"A guard. A man I trusted."

Andrew explains further. "You could say he was our most valuable guard, someone with substantial experience."

The moon glares down at us as the frigid breeze strokes my cheeks. The night seems darker, the stars are sparse, and gloomy clouds cover our only source of light. Is he here? Is he watching? It is quiet around us, the only significant sounds being that if our footsteps through the damp grass. My ears wait for the crack of a twig or the rustle of a brush.

"You can go back," Sebastian tells me.

"No. I have a feeling that this happened because of me."

The leaves are wet and molded together. It had rained, but I did not hear the pattering in my sleep. The atmosphere clings to my skin, cold, soggy, and thick. Andrew peers back at us, most likely confused by my words. How could Evangeline be the cause of a man's death?