6. Oubliette - Loldirr

As far as sleep could go, the one that Loldirr had endured the night before was torturous. The thought of swapping vows with this man who she knew nothing about irritated her and the idea that this man would end up touching her intimately produced a sickening feeling inside of her.

Facing death several times had pushed her mentally and physically to her limits, yet Loldirr longed to endure the uncertainty and pain of the challenge of survival than join in union with the second son of Empress Emmelina of Ruvia.

Each time Loldirr had closed her eyes, she recalled her time on the Sea Horse, a trade ship that had transported her and Ethelston to the elven city of Gryffinfall. Recalling the night that she was held down by several sailors to be taken advantage of by lustful men. It was fortunate that the weather had taken a turn for the worse to stop that assault from developing further.

Not long after the repulsive event, she performed her first form of justice. Watching the blood of the ringleader gush to the floor had brought her satisfaction and shame in equal measure as his blood-filled breaths shallowed and dissipated. Sparing his right-hand man had brought her guilt and remorse as she left him kneeling in his friend's blood.

Would she have shown the same restraint now, having seen what she had over the last several moon cycles?

Despite several attempts to placate her curiosity by asking the Chevalier de Présage about his thoughts on her future husband, it had left her deeply frustrated and angry. His words were sparse and non-committal at best, silent and empty at other times and it only compounded Loldirr's lack of sleep even further.

Now she sat in the great Ravenscourt hall at the head table to discuss her latest version of justice, but the bags developing under her eyes suggested that her justice would not be kind.

She watched as Knight Inquisitor Ithelred made an entrance alongside Ethelston Darke, the man she considered to be like a brother. Forming a smile towards the two men, she examined how both of them responded in kind. Ethelston was rugged and brash, yet caring and compassionate. His moniker, the Manticore Hunter, was a front for the true man that had travelled and protected her across several thousand miles. He was flawed, yet if her soon-to-be husband was half the man he was, then she could tolerate the union.

Then there was Knight Inquisitor Ithelred. While his smile flashed towards Loldirr, there was no happiness in it, no compassion or kindness, just a fake smile designed to briefly hide the true bitterness that controlled his heart. Loldirr longed for his wisdom and guidance, yet she wanted to stay well clear of his bloodlust, something she was afraid would embrace her as both her political and supernatural powers grow exponentially.

Two very powerful men, very different, neither perfect. Would Loldirr end up marrying an Ethelston, or an Ithelred?

Ethelston sat to her side, Ithelred just beside him as it had become custom, and as Erdudvyl flowed into the room next, Loldirr watched as Ethelston's face briefly lit up only to see Ithelred's frown grow deeper.

A spate of envy flushed its way over Loldirr's senses, almost building to a rage that she would struggle to control. With Erdudvyl sitting beside her, Loldirr refused to look, angered by the love that was blossoming between them both.

How could they get to feel and embrace something that she could not? How could they have each other just to sell her to some random man, a current enemy of her Empire?

"Are you ok?" Erdudvyl asked, placing her hand carefully on Loldirr's wrist.

In her mind, the touch felt like hot coals, and she was standing on her feet, ridiculing their hypocrisy, spewing her anger ferociously towards the two she had considered friends, but instead, she sat, slumped in the chair, nodding and smiling to her elven mentor.