Chapter 13

Lyra

The police cleared the crime scene and as promised, Brandon got right to work on restoring the shop. His men said they could get it back in a week, but for now the shop is closed.

It was hard accepting the change, but I put on my big girl pants and shoved the pain away focusing only on the good things in life.

While Macie was coloring at the table, I pulled up my pre-orders so I could call and cancel them. It's not good for business, but what can I do?

I only had three pre-orders luckily; one for the Wonelskis who would definitely understand, one for Mrs. Larson who had been coming every Monday for years, and one for...a ten year old's birthday party which was tomorrow.

I called my first two clients who assured me it was fine after making sure I was ok. Mrs. Larson even offered for me to come stay with her since my apartment was still trashed. It warmed my heart, but I declined. If I didn't have Brandon and Macie I probably would've accepted, but I like it here and it's convenient for babysitting Macie.

Taking a deep breath, I dialed the final number.

"Hello?"

"Hi Mrs. Smith, this is Lyra from The Sweet Spot. I have an order for a birthday cake for you."

"Yes, is there a problem?"

I took a deep breath. I hate letting people down. "Yes. Unfortunately I can't make your cake. My shop was vandalized and I can't bake there right now."

"Oh." The disappointment oozed from her voice. "That's all right. I'll figure something out. Thank you."

I felt so bad for Mrs. Smith and her daughter. I remember what it was like to be a kid and not get a cake on my birthday. It was actually how I became a baker.

When I was twelve, I'd had enough and decided that I deserved a proper birthday, so I went down into the kitchen late at night and made myself a cake. I got in huge trouble with my fosters at the time, but it was worth it to me. Even though I made the cake myself, I felt special that day.

Mrs. Smith was about to hang up, but I couldn't let her daughter go without a cake. "Wait!" I called out over the phone. "What if I can deliver the cake?"

"What?"

"I can bake it at a friend's house and bring it to you."

"Oh, that's ok. I don't want to trouble you."

"It's no trouble at all. I'm happy to do it." And I was. I was practically begging Mrs. Smith to let me do this.

"Ok. Thank you Lyra."

Yes!

What might seem like just a cake to one person, is the most special thing to another and I couldn't let down a kid on their birthday. Especially their tenth, double digits are a big deal.

"Macie!" I called out and she came running in. "Let's bake a cake."

Macie and I baked the cake, but then it had to chill in the fridge before I could frost it. I waited and waited, checking every fifteen minutes, but this cake was taking an abnormally long time. Usually I left my cakes in the fridge for an hour or two at the most, but this one had been in for almost three and a half. My fridge at the bakery must be stronger.

It was ten o'clock at night when I was finally able to pull the cake out of the fridge. Was I tired? Yes. But was I going to go to sleep? No. Not when I had a cake to frost.

Mrs. Smith had requested white buttercream frosting with roses on the borders and Happy Birthday Lucy. The buttercream was easy to make, I had the recipe committed to memory.

I did a crumb coating on the cake and then put it back in the fridge to chill. It wouldn't need as long in the fridge, but it still would be a while.

I was just pulling the cake out of the fridge at ten forty-five when I heard footsteps come down the stairs. They were too heavy to be Macie's feet so it must be Brandon.

"Why are you still awake?" He asked. With work and Macie, we both went to bed early so we could wake up early, so yes, this was late. I was usually in bed by nine thirty. I know, lame.

"I have to finish this cake."

"Tonight?"

I nodded and went back to frosting. Brandon came over and sat at the kitchen counter, stealing my spatula to lick the frosting off.

"Hey! I wasn't done with that!"

Brandon just shrugged his shoulders and kept eating the frosting. I rolled my eyes and got back to work.

We settled into a comfortable silence with me frosting and Brandon watching. He just sat there, head leaning on his hand, watching me work. I told him he didn't have to stay up, but he brushed me off and stayed anyways.

It was another hour before I was finally finished with the cake. I liked to take my time with my cakes and make sure everything was perfect.

"Wow. This is a lot better than the cake Macie and I made," Brandon said.

I laughed and swatted him with a dish towel. "Your cake was great!"

He gave me a look that suggested otherwise and I laughed more.

"So. Is it time for bed?" Brandon asked once the cake was safely boxed up and back in the fridge.

"No." The kitchen was still a mess and I couldn't just leave it like this. "I have to clean."

"You can leave it till morning."

I shook my head. I couldn't. I wouldn't be able to sleep until these dishes were cleaned. "I have to clean."

Brandon sighed and came back to the kitchen. "Two pairs of hands work faster than one right?"

Brandon smiled down at me and I found myself beaming back. With Brandon's help, the kitchen was knocked out in no time at all.

"Thanks for the help," I said as I dried off my hands.

"No problem."

Brandon walked me upstairs, holding my hand, and stopped at my door. "Goodnight Lyra," he said as he brushed a kiss to my knuckles.

"Goodnight Brandon."

I blushed slightly as I slipped into my room, hoping he hadn't noticed. It was just Brandon being sweet, completely and utterly innocent.

So why did my heart feel like it was going to beat out of my chest all of the sudden?