Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen 

Neverland

a place where

dreams come true

and everything seems okay

like it will never end

but here in reality

something is bound

to go wrong

and not as planned

we don't have wings

to fly away

only hope

that we can be strong

to eventually be okay

"Are you ready?" I ask, standing at the top of the stairs beside Austin. We are dressed up in our costume, ready for the Halloween dance at the school.

"Ready as I'll ever be," Austin says, nodding with confidence. He takes my hand in his and we begin to descend down the stairs, where my brothers, parents, and best friend are waiting. When we reach the bottom, everyone stops what they're doing and focuses on us.

"Oh, you guys just look adorable," my mom coos, taking dozens of pictures with her phone she holds up. my dad stands behind her, grinning. Quinn is behind Ben, rolling his eyes. He's not dressed up at all, claiming he's too old.

"What can I say? We do look pretty awesome, don't you think Aidan?" Austin asks, and the two of us simultaneously strike a pose.

Austin and I are  Tinkerbell and Peter Pan for Halloween. 

My green dress comes down to my knees and green flats on my feet. On my back, there are wings that I have from years ago. Austin is dressed in a long dark green shirt that comes just past his waist with green tights on for pants. On top of his head, he wears a brown hat, which is pointed at the top.

We look pretty damn awesome.

"I never thought I would see you in tights, that's for sure," Aidan laughs, Ben fist bumping him. They are dressed up as Mario and Luigi.

"You guys are going to be the talk of the night," Andrea says, standing beside me, snapping pictures. 

I roll my eyes at the statement. "We aren't dating," I inform them, and feel Austin squeeze my hand.

"And Neverland is real," Ben says, snorting in laughter. 

Austin and I glare at him. "I find that very offensive to our characters." I say, straight faced.

"Alright, everyone group up for pictures! Joey, come on. Get out of that candy!" my mom looks behind her, where Joey sits on the stool by the island, picking over the chocolate in the bowl. He turns around and grins with chocolate covered teeth, dressed in a batman costume. 

Joey jumps down from the counter and comes over to stand in the front of Austin and I, eyeing Austin carefully. Andrea stands next to me with Ben and Aidan on the other side of Austin.

"Get in there Quinn, don't be a fart bubble," my dad says, pushing him to us, forcing him to get in the picture. Quinn reluctantly stands by Aidan, not attempting to smile.

"Alright, squish together," my mom and dad have their phones out, ordering us around.

"Say Neverland!"

***

At the dance, the dance committee has done a surprisingly decent job of making the it fun. There are orange and black streamers hanging from strings off the basketball nets, and fog lights that run across the gymnasium floor. Music plays from the stage, the DJ dressed as Dracula.

In one corner of the room, there are chairs and tables to sit at. The tables have white cloths on them and fake candle on top. The dance floor is in the centre, a fog machine generating mystical looking mist. People dance, looking like ghosts floating in the air.

As I glance around, I see Aidan flirting with a girl at the tables, and Andrea and Henry letting loose on the dance floor. 

"Would you like you dance?" 

I swivel around and meet Austin who is offering me his hand.

 I smile, thrusting my hand out to him dramatically. "Of course," I say, and smile.

 Austin, like a professional, twists me around and around.

"Are you having fun tonight?" he asks, his bright green eye shine in the dark, searching my face as we dance together. People move out of the way, allowing us to have our space.

"A blast. Nights like these make me want to never grow up," I say, and laugh. 

"Me too. I like these tights, they make me feel free," Austin says, grinning. I burst into laughter, trying not to imagine Austin wearing tights for the rest of his life.

"I'm glad you asked me to be your date," I say, and wrap my hands around his neck, looking up at him.

"I can't let a girl I like go alone to a dance like this," He says, smirking and leans down closer to my face. "Who else would protect you from all these bloodsuckers and ugly monsters?"

I actually giggle just as our lips touch.

A warm feeling goes though my body, just like it does every time Austin kisses me. 

Behind us, someone clears their throat. I expect it to be one of my brothers, but when I turn and see that Carla is standing in front of me, my entire mood drops. 

She's wears a tight, purple dress with six inch heel and sunglasses.

I mentally groan wishing she'd go away. Whitney and Kayla, her posse members, are gathered behind her. Austin wraps his arm around me, making Carla's smile turn into a frown.

"Do you mind if I talk to Emma for a second?" Carla asks, a little too nicely. I don't know what she wants, but by the expression on her face seeing Austin and I together, it can't be good.

"Actually I do-"

"I'll talk to her, it's okay," I say sighing. I glance at Austin, assuring I'd be alright. We have a silent conversation, Austin obviously not wanting to leave me along with Queen Bitch. But he sighs and mutters a curse under his breath.

"Fine. I'll go get us some drinks," he says and gives me one last look before he turns and heads for the drinks. I turn and focus onCarla. She smirks at me and takes me by the arm to a table.

I have a really bad feeling about this.

"Alright, this is how it's going to go," Carla says, narrowing her eyes at me. She places her hands on her  hips. "You and Austin, it's not going to happen."

***

What do you think is going to happen?