𝐈𝐈. 𝐁𝐨𝐧𝐣𝐨𝐮𝐫

𝐁𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 they reached the village, the sun had risen over the horizon and the small town came to life

𝐁𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 they reached the village, the sun had risen over the horizon and the small town came to life. The chaos and bustling of people milling about only made Celine's desire to shrink inside herself grow. It was moments like this when she was grateful that she lived at the edge of the village rather than in the center of town.

"Good morning, Althea," the baker greeted her mother.

Althea respectfully returned the greeting before getting right to business. Celine blocked out most of the conversation as her thoughts drifted toward daydreams. However, hearing her name snapped her back to reality.

"My, your little Celine has grown into quite the angel," the baker chuckled quietly, unaware that the girl had heard him, "I suppose you'll be setting her up with a suitor here soon."

Celine's eyes widened, but she was relieved to hear that her mother jumped to her defense. Althea shook her head. "Celine is only twenty years of age, I'm in no rush to marry her off like a prize."

It was uncommon for a young lady like herself to remain uncourted, but her mother had never pushed the subject. Celine couldn't help but puff out her chest in pride with how gracefully her mother handled conflict. Even though many viewed the two as odd, being single women who lived alone, her mother never allowed the outside to affect their lives.

"I meant no offense," the baker quickly defended himself, "I only meant to say that Celine has captured almost every eye in the village, only one girl seems to be more sought after and that's—"

"Belle," Celine interrupted the baker, turning her head as a flash of blue fabric passed by her peripherals.

"That's right," the baker agreed, still caught off-guard by her outburst.

Celine paid him no attention; instead, her eyes followed after the village beauty. Her smile grew and she glanced back at her mother, who permitted her permission to leave with a single nod. She silently thanked her before running off in an unladylike fashion.

Although she briefly lost Belle in the crowd, it didn't take long to find the girl who had her nose stuck in a book. She silently caught up and walked alongside her, sliding her arm around Belle's in the process.

"What are you reading?"

"Oh!" Belle exclaimed and looked up from her book startled. She placed a hand over her chest to catch her breath before scolding her friend. "Don't do that, Celine."

Celine laughed and waved away her reprimanding. "Oh, please. You love the excitement. It's the closest either of us have ever gotten to a real adventure."

"You enjoy the quiet and warmth of your home and easel far too much to ever go on an actual adventure," Belle contradicted, closing her book and placing it within her basket.

"And you've convinced me that you like the words on the pages of your books more than the prospect of living them," Celine retorted playfully.

"You know I can't leave Papa."

"And I fear what would become of Maman if I ever left as well."

"You still remember your promise though?"

Celine nodded her head and held up a hand as if swearing an oath. "One day, we'll make it to Paris. We'll leave behind this terribly dull village and have an adventure all to ourselves. I'll paint everything we see and you'll record our every waking moment."

Belle smiled at the prospect and looked up toward the sky as if envisioning everything she described. "No more closed doors and no more forced suitors!"

Celine looked over at her in surprise. "Your father's making you see a suitor?"

Belle quickly shook her head at the misunderstanding. "No, no, of course not... but I fear one day Monsieur Gaston will convince him otherwise."

"Zut alors!" Celine exclaimed, facepalming, "That reprobate still has yet to give up?"

Belle nodded in agreement just as her book was stolen from her basket.

"Bonjour, Belle."

Speak of the devil. The two turned to face Gaston as he opened the book and stared blankly at the words.

"Bonjour, Gaston," Belle patiently greeted him and requested, "May I have my book, please?"

"How can you read this?" He asked, tilting the book to look at it from a different angle. "There's no pictures."

"Some people use their imaginations," Celine muttered under her breath, crossing her arms.

"Ah, mademoiselle," Gaston looked up from the book, finally noticing her, "I didn't see you there."

"No, I suppose you didn't." Her arms remained crossed. "Nor do I suppose you've read that book."

"No," Gaston agreed, "but once you've seen one, you've seen them all." He paused and extended a small bouquet of flowers out to Belle. "For your dinner table... shall I join you this evening?"

Belle was shocked at first, but did accept the flowers; however, she refused the invitation. "Sorry, not this evening."

"Busy?" Gaston sought a reason.

"No..." Belle winced and turned to walk away from the conversation.

Slowly, Gaston turned toward Celine as if offering the same invitation. She scoffed and rolled her eyes. "As if." Without another word, she turned and walked away as LeFou approached his hunting partner.