Chapter 4- Alone

Raiyne's pov

Embarrassment-a feeling of self-consciousness, shame, or awkwardness.

Since none of those things apply to me, I decide to go with my original plan and wear jeans. Super tight ones that were in the category of dark denim. The darkest blue you could buy to be exact.

I pair them with a soft pink sleeveless silk shirt that has a nice plunging neckline, just like I said I was going to. Now all I have to decide is which shoes to wear. Flats or heels?

Heels would certainly dress up the outfit, so I dig through my collection, trying to figure out which ones would look best with the colors I'm wearing. The closest I can come to matching the pink top is a pair of nude three inch heels that have a small amount of silver glitter wrapped around the heel.

Getting ready doesn't take me long, but my hair accounts for half of the time I spent. I sport one of those short messy styles that's longer on top and cut above my ears on the sides.

I'm naturally a brunette, but I put pale blonde streaks through it, giving it the dark root and light ends look. Contrary to what most people think, short hair styles, in fact, take a while to style into place.

My parents were already going to lose their shit over my outfit, so I went light with the makeup. Usually, I take on a bolder look, with my eye makeup as the shining star, but not today. Looks like today I'll have to see if I have any natural beauty, as my mother puts it.

Mylah, Rhett, and I had all agreed to wait till after the crowd of incoming wolves arrived before we showed up. The sound of steady traffic entering our pack lands has gone on for well over an hour now. Most started coming in between six and seven,but everyone's who's going has to be there by eight thirty, no exceptions. This way, the neighboring packs could leave at a decent time if they didn't find their mate.

I can see the logic behind that decision, though. Some would linger around till all hours of the night, in hopes that maybe their mate was just running late or something like that.

The gathering usually has close to a thousand wolves in attendance, and you could easily get lost in the crowd if you weren't from the hosting pack. Some would choose to stay and indulge in drinks and gossip, but more would end up leaving than what stayed.

Luckily for us, that's not gonna be a problem. The main reason the three of us wanted to wait a while before going was because if it turned out to be a bust, we could slip away without notice. Our pack was situated right beside a quarry, and the plan was to go drink our sorrows away down there, where we would be free from prying eyes.

There would likely be some other dejected wolves from our pack down there, but as long as it wasn't the Alpha himself, we couldn't care less.

I finish putting the final touches on my makeup, then head downstairs to wait for my friends. My parents left a while ago, as they offered to help with the set up, and food preparation. My aunt was asked to set up a table with a bunch of different side dishes to go with the BBQ that Alpha Alden and Beta Maxton were running. Of course, Aunt Claire roped my parents into helping, so at least I was going to make it out of the house in my chosen outfit without critique.

I just hit the bottom of the stairs when the doorbell rings. I race to the door, excited to see what my friends decided to wear. I'm met with a smiling Mylah, who is so giddy that she is practically jumping on the spot. I'll give her credit being so bright and chipper when the possibility of ending the night alone was of high probability.