33. An Important Change

So, we're heading straight into the lion's den, are we?

Quickly, or at least as quickly as I was currently capable of, I made my way through the crowd of pirates, catching up to Mr Ambrose just before he stepped onto the gangplank of his flagship.

"Are you sure about this?" I whispered.

He glanced at the gangplank, then at me, then back at the gangplank. Then he stepped onto it.

"Yes."

"Not about stepping on the bloody plank!" I hissed. "I meant about this! All of this!" As inconspicuously as possible, I gestured as the flagship, the small feet of three pirate ships gathered around it, and the vessel that belonged to the messenger, all waiting to set out. "Going with the fellow who works for your ruthless, murderous competitor? The man whose loyal pet pirate you just killed off?"

"You mean poor Captain Briggs? What a tragedy that was! Such an unfortunate sailing accident."

I stared at him. "You really think they'll buy that? You really think the pirates will support that story?"

"Since I've taken over, their earnings have been multiplied by two point six five. What do you think?"

I hated it when he had a point.

"Well...that might be true. Still—"

"Shh!"

He cut me off abruptly. Quickly, I glanced around. We had just stepped onto the ship, and no one seemed to be around anywhere on the vessel. The sailors were already rushing to their posts, not paying attention to us. Why...?

"Greetings, Captain!"

Oh.

Right there, at the railing of the other ship, only a few dozen yards away, stood the messenger.

The messenger from the man who tried to sink your ship. Who wanted to drown you alive. You and your child.

My face hardened. Maybe paying a visit to this "employer" might be a good idea after all.

"Greetings, Mr..." My husband cocked his head. "I think you have yet to introduce yourself."

"Oh." The young man winced. "Beg your pardon. I was so focused on my mission that I completely forgot." Squaring his shoulder, he bowed in my husband's direction. "Marvin Woolridge, at your service."

"They call me Rockface." Mr Ambrose gave a curt nod in return. "At your service, for a price."

"Naturally, naturally." The messenger gave us—or more precisely, Captain Rockface—a blinding smile. "You shall be compensated to your fullest satisfaction."

At that, I had to work really hard to keep an evil smirk off my face. Compensate to his fullest satisfaction? Mr Rikkard Ambrose?

Oh my. The poor bastard had no clue what he was in for. I almost felt sorry for him.

The man who tried to drown you and your child.

Almost.

"As soon as you find that abominable blaggard who has been raiding our employer's ships, of course," Woolridge added.

"Oh, believe me," Mr Ambrose assured him, "finding that man will not be difficult for me."

This time, the evil smirk was simply too powerful to resist, so instead, I hid it behind a hand. Just as I did with the fierce glare I sent at Mr Woolridge.

"Good, good!" Nodding happily, said son of a bachelor sent us a smile and stepped back from the railing. "I suppose we'd better be off then, shouldn't we?"