Chapter 14

- Jake -

Jake sat on his chair and watched Elly clean the dishes after dinner. It was beyond him how she seemed not to care, no, how she almost hummed of joy while doing the work. Nathaniel always used his dirty tricks to get out of the chores when it was his turn, Rutger tended to break more plates than he cleaned, and Annabelle usually cursed throughout the entire task.

Nathaniel snapped his clawed fingers in front of Jake's face. "Back to business please, you horny bastard."

Jake grabbed for the demon's head and smashed it against the table. He had no more patience left for the demon, not just that day, but forever.

Elly gasped with surprise and some dishes rattled out of her hand. Annabelle gave a low whistle and Rutger a sigh.

"I've had enough of your comments," Jake snarled while Nathaniel straightened himself up again. He wrinkled his bloody nose. "Say something useful or keep your bloody mouth shut. Are we clear?"

The demon brushed the blood away with a smirk and Jake would have wanted to punch his face in. The only thing that stopped him was Rutger's glance burning into him.

"The shops are finally up and running," Jake pressed out between clenched teeth. "According to Sir Evermount he'll be done two weeks before New Year's."

"And we believe him?" Annabelle asked.

Jake gave a quick nod. He had endured yet another tiring day of listening to the old man's stories of the days of war while inspecting how things stood himself.

"I take it we are finally headed towards the capital then?" Nathaniel said and pulled his clothes straight.

"The capital?" Elly asked over her shoulder.

"Almost." Jake tried to ignore her presence for now. He had kept her as far away from everything, as far as that was possible, for both of their sakes. "The Earl promised his troops, but we'll have to pick up some more men."

"You gonna try the farmers again?" Annabelle asked.

"I've got no choice," Jake said. He would have to keep the unskilled fighters away from more dangerous situations somehow, but he had to have them. Some at least. Pawns were as necessary as knights or rooks to win a game.

And there was no better excuse to rid himself off the demon's company while looking for the last of the seven seals.

"We are going to the capital?" Elly repeated her question from before while sitting down on the table with the group. Jake glimpsed at the washed dishes and wished she was not be so good at things like that.

"Yes, little maid, we are going to the capital," Nathaniel said. "In case you haven't realized, that is where the King is."

Elly gave the demon an angry stare.

"We are going, you will stay here," Jake directed at her. He had spent more time than he should have on wondering what to do with her and concluded that this was the best option. He would send someone to pick her up if things turned out well, and if not, at least she would have a roof over her head.

"No, I want to come," Elly said.

Jake shook his head.

"Oh, don't worry, I've got no intention of taking part in your insanity," she snapped. "I'll go see my brother. Just take me along the way."

"Your brother?"

Elly nodded. "He is a soldier in the King's army." 

Nathaniel broke out in laughter. Jake barely resisted the urge to smash the demon's face again.