SIX | wrong jethro

"Eva, McGee?"

McGee and I wait by the back door with our weapons raised. I take the lead with my gaze focused on the doorway while he guards from the back.

"In position, boss."

"The back door's wide open."

Tony, Ziva, and Gibbs stand at the front door, announcing our presence before kicking down the door and entering the house.

As if timed precisely, an adult German Shepherd comes bounding through and leaps on top of me. His sharp teeth embed themselves through the thick N.C.I.S. jacket and into my skin, drawing blood almost instantly.

"Eva!"

"Just distract him, McGee! Whatever you do, don't —"

Bang! Bang!

- - - - - - - - - -

"Looks like a through-and-through flesh wound."

"Well, it's a good thing McGee's not a better shot."

"When did you last have a tetanus shot?" Ducky presses a few cotton pads against the laceration across my neck before bandaging it close.

"Two or so years ago." Tony replies, his fingertips grazing over my shoulders. "You see, we were experimenting with —"

"He didn't ask for an explanation, Tony."

"Sorry, dear."

I lift a finger towards the enemy at hand. "You had one thing to not do, McGee. I didn't even finish my statement before you went and did that one thing."

"Can you blame me for trying to save your life? That dog is vicious."

"And he is now in pain because of your mistake."

"Boss —"

"Drive her and Fido back to the lab. He's covered in evidence."

"If you think I'm getting in a car with him —"

"Eva."

"Fine. But I'm driving."

Abby greets us the moment we pull up into the garage. Her maternal instincts steer her mind when she sees my superficial injuries before turning to sympathy for the dog. But all of her thoughts morph into anger when she realizes who shot the poor puppy: McGee.

The rest of the team arrives to discuss the few remaining viable aspects to the drug trafficking case.

"He really hasn't left your side, huh?"

"Poor Butch lets out this heart-wrenching whine every time I try to leave."

"I'm sorry, Butch?" Abby swivels around in her chair.

Nonchalantly, I shrug my shoulders. "That's what it said on his collar. Although, I think we could give him a better name."

"What about Jethro?"

". . .you want to name him after Gibbs?"

"Well, why not? Doesn't he look like a Jethro to you?"

I tilt my head to the side and squint my eyes to thin slits. The dog mimics my action, drawing giggles from both me and Abby.

"You're absolutely adorable, Jethro." I gently scratch him behind the ears.

"Excuse me?"

We glance back to see Ducky and Gibbs standing at the doorway, looks of confusion filling their features.