Chapter 28- Angel

Hey everyone!!

I wanted to give you all a huge thank you for 10k reads! That is honestly crazy to me, and it means so so so much to me! You guys are absolutely amazing!

My boots click across the stone streets of Corona as Rapunzel and I dash through the shadows. I pull my hood farther up, as to cover as much of my facial features as possible. I am considered an outlaw by the Saporians, and the kingdom is ordered to report me on the spot if I am found. All of Corona was fast asleep by now, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Rapunzel waves me over to a small metal sewer grate. "We can get into the palace through here." She whispers.

I slightly tilt my head. "How do you know that?"

"This is the same exit that Cassandra..." Her voice trails off and she looks away. "Cassandra snuck me out of the palace through here the night my hair came back."

I stare at my sister, who still wasn't making full eye contact with me. "Raps, are you okay? You know that you can talk to me-"

Rapunzel shakes her head and rubs her misty eyes as she cuts me off. "I'm fine. We'd better get going."

I sigh but follow her through the sewer grate. I knew she was lying to me, but I also knew that now wasn't the best time to confront her about it. I make a mental note to ask her about it once we save the kingdom.

As the two of us carefully trek through the damp underground tunnels, butterflies flutter around inside my stomach. I was terrified, to say the least. The palace was the last place a runaway princess/prisoner should go, and I knew the guards would be on high alert for me. I nervously cross my arms over my chest as I try to distract myself. I look ahead at my sister who looked a bit lost. "Raps? Are you sure you know where we're going?"

She forces out a chuckle. "Y-Yeah! Just a teeny bit confused. Usually, it was Cass who lead the way through these tunnels."

I try to push the uneasiness out of my voice. "Does anything look familiar? Maybe you can retrace your steps."

Rapunzel looks around. "I-I don't know." She places her hands on the side of her face. "I don't know."

I suddenly hear something that makes my blood run cold.

Footsteps.

"Hide." Is the only thing I manage to say.

Rapunzel's emerald green eyes widen as she swiftly drags me behind an old wine barrel that was hidden in the shadows. I hold my breath as the footsteps get louder. I notice a fuzzy ball of fur approach us, and as the figure gets closer, I realize that it's Ruddiger.

I let out my breath with relief as I open my arms wide and smiled. "Ruddiger!! I'm so glad it's you!!" I exclaim.

The fuzzy raccoon scurries into my arms and snuggles against my chest as I hug him.

Rapunzel looks at me and then at Ruddiger. "Wait...if Ruddiger is here, then that must mean-"

I cut her off when I see an all too familiar alchemist making his way through the tunnels while holding an illuminated compound. "Varian!!"

Varian's eyes light up brighter than flynnoliumn when he sees me, and a giant grin spreads across his face, showing off his adorable buck teeth. Upon seeing his friend, Ruddiger scampers out of my arms toward the boy.

I quickly stand up and rush to Varian, throwing my arms around him. "Oh, Var, I missed you so much!"

"(yn)! Thank Demanitus you're safe." Varian quickly returns the hug, wrapping his arms around my torso and lifting me a couple of inches off of the ground while spinning me in circles.

"Varian! Ah! You're going to drop me!" A giggle escapes my lips.

Varian laughs as he sets me back down. "You really think I'd drop you after not seeing you for half a year?" He teases.

I cross my arms and smirk. "I don't know...would you?"

"I wouldn't dream of it, angel." He mischievously grins.

Varian's nickname makes my eyes widen and my face flush pink. "A-angel...?" I think, feeling my heartbeat quicken. Varian had never called me that before...not that I was opposed to the nickname.

"Varian?"

We both turn to face Rapunzel, who was slowly approaching us while fidgeting with her long gold hair. She stares at Varian with wide eyes, as though he was an unpredictable animal who could attack at any moment. Varian hesitantly backs away from Rapunzel, crossing his arms over his chest. He avoids her gaze.

I nervously glance from Rapunzel to Varian, knowing that I'd have to ease the tension if we were ever going to take back the kingdom.

"Rapunzel...I know this might sound crazy, but Varian's on our side." I gently say.

My sister looks at me as though I was insane. "(Yn), what are you talking about? He attacked us less than twelve hours ago! He's working with the Saporians and he's going to erase the kingdom's memories!"

I take hold of Rapunzel's hands and look her in the eyes. "Raps, he's good. Varian's been working undercover and sending information to the rebellion; I have his letters to prove it. He helped me escape the palace after the Saporians took over...I wouldn't even have my memories if it wasn't for him."

Rapunzel looks at me, an expression of shock in her gaze.

I take a deep breath and walk over to Varian. I place a gentle hand on his shoulder as our eyes meet. The boy's blue eyes widen with fear. "I can't do this (yn)...she'll never forgive me." his voice barely goes above a whisper.

I give Varian the most reassuring smile I could muster. "I know that it won't be easy, but sometimes you have to be the one to take the first step. Just like I did."

Varian nods and looks over to Rapunzel. "Rap-er-your highness...I'm so sorry. I never should've done what I did...but I just felt so helpless and I was scared." He slowly walks over to Rapunzel, looking at her with eyes full of guilt. "I wasn't thinking clearly, and I did things I shouldn't have. I regret that." Varian stares down at his gloved hands before once again meeting Rapunzel's gaze. "I know that I don't deserve it, but I humbly ask for your forgiveness."

Varian then does something I never would have expected: He bows to the princess. Not clumsily like the first time they met, he bowed regally as though she was a queen. "I'm so sorry."

Rapunzel's eyes fill with tears as she looks at Varian, then me, and then at Varian again. "Varian..."

The boy quickly stands up and looks at her.

"Thank you for keeping my sister safe." She gently smiles at him. "Thank you so much."

Varian nods. "O-of course...your highness."

"Call me 'Rapunzel.'"