Six: Chindilan: Are You Fed Up, Weary?

The ground beneath Harriet's feet thrummed in a deep vibration that pulsed all the way into her bones

The ground beneath Harriet's feet thrummed in a deep vibration that pulsed all the way into her bones. The harsh crack of stone made her head turn as it splintered the rock until a massive piece broke off. She watched in horror as it slowly fell and slammed onto the wood floors near where she stood. Stumbling from the force, Harriet tried to catch herself but tripped, snapping her ankle - the sound so similar to the crack of the stone. Screaming in pain, Harriet lost her balance and fell, swallowed up in the blackest and coldest hole. 

Her body flipped around chaotically as her arms stretched, reaching for anything that her hands could grasp, but there was nothing except cold, vapid air. Harriet watched in horror as her fingers iced over, stiffening in a blue death. Her skin tightened, bones chilling as she continued to fall further into the seemingly endless void. A rush of black smoke enveloped around her, followed by vicious demonic screams that wanted to rupture her eardrums. 

Twisting in an awkward contortion in the air, Harriet's gaze connected with the depths of what was waiting for her at the bottom of the hole...

Fire.

The screams intermingled with the fire's thunderous roar. Its blaze was so strong and bold, she choked on horror that lodged itself in her throat. But what was worse than the fire, where her precious students in it, being devoured. Grace was at the center, half her face melted off, eyes blank and soulless. Her charred little arms reached up for Harriet as a nauseatingly sweet scent struck her in the face, filling her lungs. It was utterly violating, and Harriet screamed, her throat bleeding with her terror as she fell into the pit of fire, Grace's black demonic eyes welcoming her.

Harriet shot out of bed, the sheets soaked, and her body shivering from the contrast between her sweat and the cold air circulating around the room. Morning was beginning to rise, and Harriet examined her surroundings as she slowly started registering, she had been having a nightmare. But then everything that happened all came flooding back and she couldn't figure out what was worse. Dealing with the aftereffects of the nightmare or reality.

Shaking, Harriet drew up her knees and breathed through her nose, fighting back the fear and sorrow that wanted to crush her. There was such an overflow of different emotions in her, she didn't know what she wanted to do, weep, scream, fidget. A soft knock came at the door and Harriet tried fixing herself, wiping some of the lingering sweat from her forehead.

"Come in," her voice croaked.

The door opened, and Claire poked her head in. "I'm soz, Miss Morgan but the girls couldn't sleep, we thought..." Claire's voice faded as she pinched her lips.

"They are all behind you, aren't they?" Harriet asked softly.

Claire simply nodded; her thick, coarse, braided hair falling over her shoulder. Harriet mustered up a warm smile. "Bring them in."

One by one the four girls came in. Felicity jumped on the end of Harriet's bed as Anne and Helen climbed next to her on either side and laid their heads on her shoulders. Rosa had tears streaming down her face as she sat next to Felicity. "Thank God! Claire came to me as soon as she heard you were brought here. I was so worried. We thought you had been caught."