Chapter 4.5 - Demons Are Coming Home

Recap: Last time, our heroes tried to warn everyone of the coming demon invasion, but they weren't fast enough.

The dance music stopped and the DJ didn't even bother with a new song. She just sat in her place and stared at the banners while the rest of the students drifted in circles. Their mouths moved, but no words came out. Everything one could hear was shoes stepping on the polished ground.

It was only now that I noticed the black mist on the dance floor.

I ran through the crowd, pushing unconscious students aside together with Jaclyn, as we sought Isa, Rose, Blossom, and Simon. Isa and Rose pretended to engage in the same mindless, wordless conversation as everyone else. The mist rippled from their dresses and covered the ground to the point that I didn't see their shadows anymore. Isa laughed, but it wasn't harmless giggling. More like the rasping laughter of someone whose throat had been slit.

"Have you ever considered joining the dark side?" Isa asked me like a normal person. "Did you ever consider just letting go? Escaping your bad feelings and looking for what's on the other side of life?"

"You aren't-" I answered. "No. Tell me you're joking!"

"I'm so useless," a girl behind me said.

I couldn't trace the voice back. It got drowned out by the murmurs of other students and even teachers.

"There's no place for me in this world."

"It was my fault that my team lost."

"I'm gonna fail this grade."

"I'm never going to have someone love me."

"Wizard Magnus just said that help will arrive at Summer Hill in 40 minutes," Jaclyn said behind me. "The Blood Covenant mobilized a whole barrage of Grief Eaters and mercenaries they'll have to mow through first."

Too late! People needed help now. Pushing Isa aside, I noticed Simon didn't have it as bad as her. He had a horseshoe necklace worn under his robe and took out a second for extra protection.

"Simon!" I yelled. "Iron nails!"

"Got it!" he said and dropped his bag. "Gonna distribute the nails in my backpack into plastic bags and give everyone one of them. Problem's that we're three people and need to cover four walls, so someone must cover two!"

"I'm all for it!" I said.

"Hey, are you the Night Witch?" Isa said behind me.

I wasn't wearing any mask, yet I was unrecognizable to Isa.

Her eyes were green and lacked the blank-faced look the others worse. Her iron pentacle protected her from outright possession, but from the subtler forces. The Wild Hunt's glamour made her see what she wanted to see. This situation reminded her of her plight in the basement. And my stance, my confidence, and my readiness resembled the person who saved her back then.

And I needed to play that way.

"Is it true what they say?" Isa asked. "That you're responsible for all this weird stuff."

I put on my ski mask before I changed my voice to make it sound older, raspier, and witchier. "People say all kinds of weird rumors about me."

"Yeah, my parents even think that God will throw you in the lake of fire on the day of judgment for your witchcraft. But why do you wear this mask?"

"She's buying it?" Jaclyn said behind me.

Animated by Jaclyn's voice, Isa looked around and became more aware of her surroundings. "What happened to the others? They look mind-controlled. And are these two members of your Weird Sisters coven?"