chapter twenty-two

The sound of my phone vibrating against the nightstand is the first thing that registers when I open my eyes

The sound of my phone vibrating against the nightstand is the first thing that registers when I open my eyes. I have to blink a few times to adjust to the harsh sunlight streaming through my bedroom window, and it takes me a few seconds to realize that the soft snores are coming from the girl sleeping on my chest. Her fingers are splayed open on my stomach, and I can smell the vanilla apple spice of her hair when I tilt my head down to get a better look at her face.

She looks so relaxed, and I'm tempted to reach out and tuck the hair that's fallen onto her cheek back behind her ear, but I freeze when she starts to move. Her cheek nuzzles deeper into my chest, and a few nonsense gibberish words escape her lips in a whisper before she settles.

My phone starts to vibrate again, and I grab for it, trying to keep my body as still as possible not to wake her up. When my fingers close around the phone, I flick my gaze back to Abby's still sleeping form before sliding my thumb across the screen, currently illuminated with the ridiculous duck face selfie Liv saved to her contact.

"Hey." My voice is still thick with sleep, even after clearing my throat.

"Are you seriously still sleeping?"

"What do you want, Liv?"

Abby lifts her head and looks up at me. She blinks a few times in a half-asleep way that makes her look like a lost puppy, and I grin down at her as her eyes finally clear of the sleepy haze. Her cheeks heat when her gaze falls to her hand on my stomach.

Sitting up, the sheets pool around her hips, and I spot the pastel blue of her underwear on her hip as she runs her hands through her slightly frizzy bedhead.

"To make sure you're still coming to breakfast. The one we scheduled last week for your birthday. You know, the one Mom and I have been making for the past forty-five minutes?" Liv snaps.

I pull the phone away from my face to look at the time. "Fuck, I forgot to set my alarm." I groan and slide out of bed, grabbing for my glasses.

"Mel, Garrett, and the girls are already here, so hurry up."

I don't bother saying goodbye before I end the call and toss my phone back onto the bed.

"Is everything okay?" Abby asks, pulling her hair back into a ponytail. She has a small red mark on her cheek from sleep, but she still looks more attractive than anyone I've ever woken up next to.

"I'm supposed to go to my parents for breakfast," I say, stretching my hands over my head until the three pops from my back sound.

"Oh, okay." She pushes the blankets away from her and slides out of bed, making sure to keep her hands on the hem of the hoodie, so it doesn't slide up, as if I didn't pull it off of her last night. I grin at the gesture.

She's reaching for the pile of folded clothes by her purse when the words slip through my lips. "Do you want to come with me?"

She freezes and looks over her shoulder, brows raised. "To breakfast?"