-3-

"Eve, I need you to lift your arms to I can properly place this corset." After the bath, she sat me in an elegant chair tending to my hair until it looked perfect. A beautiful bun twirled beautifully onto the back of my head with dainty pin flowers placed throughout. Much to my disagreement, another maid entered to help me get dressed. Never in my life have I been naked in front of this many people, but with a quick look and snap of words from Irene I was standing there in my birthday suit begging for the sun to burn me alive, "You have a good figure and I need to make sure this looks good on you before we take you down to his grace."

"Who am I?" I finally mumble. Both the maids stop their fidgeting and meet my eye in the mirror. The corset is a deep blue sitting just below my breasts coming up to right before the soft side boob. I shift a little to get my boobs to drop. Irene wants them plump and spilling, says it's a blessing to have the shape I do, I would rather die. A gorgeous skirt flares out from the bottom in a flattering color with a shawl over my shoulders to finish off the look. It's a great combination of eighteenth-century clothing and modern touch, but I feel more naked in it than I ever have in my normal clothing.

"I am instructed to let the Duke himself inform you of such. You are, however, a very important lady that must be tended to. Especially if you've never been in such high-class circles." Irene responds, "You look wonderful my lady. Let's get you prepped to head downstairs."

"And if you're human, why are you here?"

"All these questions. Keep quiet. All will be explained in due time. As for your mutt, a special handler has been hired to keep her busy and running while you are tending to your daily duties. He should be waiting at the door now. I've also heard talks of a dog bed being built in the room as well so you should be in good shape." She leads me down from the lifted floor I was standing on. Her smile is tight but appreciated as I hobble across the room to the door, "Shoulders back, graceful smile, and please for the love of all that's dead don't speak."

"Why am I being placed on such a high pedestal right now?" I glance around trying to put things together, but nothing comes to mind, "Am I not just a random, very hungover, human girl that he pulled off the street?"

"Use your ears, Eve. I can't tell you. That is for the Duke himself. You'll need to be on the best behavior you can muster while you're meeting with the Count. The Duke will be your guide and help, but anything goes wrong, and you'll have hell to pay." Irene guides me from the room. Bella is left in the bedroom with the promise someone will return for her. The man that was supposed to be outside waiting hadn't quite reached the bedroom, no bed chamber. The other maid leaves walking in the opposite direction while we take the plush carpet and well-decorated walls to a grand foyer, "Now Lady Sapphire, if you need anything please wave to me and I'll come straight to you."

We turn our heads to see the grand staircase flowing downward. At the bottom is my heart attack on my legs. The Duke. He's just as handsome as before, however now he wears a suit tailored in a similar style to mine. Our outfits seem very coordinated, and with a shrug of the handmaiden I choose to ignore it. At least to preserve my life. Irene helps me walk down the stairs with promising tips on how to maneuver in a dress. Victor waits patiently at the bottom, his red gaze watching me with attentive detail, "As you requested, my grace." Irene drops into a deep curtsey. I attempt to move into the same, but two fingers come right under my chin forcing me to look upwards.

"You are never to curtsey in my presence, Amanté." His voice rocks me to my core. Every cell in my body demands to press against him begging for him to take me. I attempt to collect myself before the heightened senses kick in, but I'm a moment too late by the smirk that comes over his deadly features.

"Yes, your grace," I whisper as loud as a mouse. No strength, no courage. I'm at the hands of the vampires. It's a suffocating strength that pours from them, a constant, nagging reminder that we are simply their food, and they are allowing us to live. It wasn't long ago they made a statement about us. Humans felt like the vampires weren't all that. And once the first wooden stake was thrown, blood was shed. The vampires were lapping up the blood as it dripped from the necks of scared warriors. Once their strength was realized, most chose to slit their own throat and offer themselves before they'd put up a fight. Merciful was the name given to those moments. It was a merciful death to be eaten alive slowly instead of torn to shreds.

"We are meeting with the Count. He is organizing a new military base on the north side of the Dukedom he wanted to further discuss with me. The Queen has encouraged us to grow our forces and thus, here we are. Though I don't value his loyalty, he's rather brash and makes decisions based on financial gain instead. It's an invaluable trait for someone supposed to hold power over the people." He holds out an arm for me. I swallow and slip my hand right into his elbow. It would appear to others like I'm his lover. This only develops even more confusion, "Irene, get the coffee ready and bring it to the lounge room."

"Yes, your grace." Her footsteps are silent when she runs across the large space. It took everything in me to avoid staring at the way her feet move.

And with her rushing off I'm left with him. One hand hangs between the elbow bend, the other placed on his bicep. His warm hand lays over my mind to keep it in place while he guides me down another set of long hallways. Our height difference stands to be our biggest difficulty. He sits maybe two feet above me leading into a comical moment when standing next to one another, "Was your room up to your standards?"

And for the love of all that's dead, don't speak. Instead of trying to form words I give a nod. The Duke takes that well enough turning us into a large room with couches and tables tucked in multiple places. The air in my lungs leaves me at the sight of the large windows on one side showcasing the jaw-dropping garden being managed by the hands. Victor notices my gaze letting me release myself from him. I use it to walk over and stare through the window, "Those flowers are gorgeous." I mumble walking to each corner to see a different angle. Irene's threat was forgotten as soon as I laid eyes on such natural beauty.

"If you would like, we could take a stroll through the garden after our meeting." He's already sitting down on a larger desk chair. His eyes are scanning through some documents, jacket laid nicely over the back of his chair. More than enough couch space presents itself but with the warning from Irene, I'd rather stand until told what to do. I don't want 'messing up a couch pillow' to be the reason I had my body drained, "Ms. Evelyn would you enjoy that?"

I must've spaced out for him to feel the need to re-address me, "T-that would be nice Thank you."

He smiles into his paperwork, a pen scratching across a page, "Never thank me, Ms. Evelyn. Much scarier things are behind every kind of offer. Remember that." 

.

.

.

.

now the joy of waiting :)