two

»»--⍟--««

»»--⍟--««

.02 | buttercup

𝙁𝙧𝙚𝙮𝙖 𝙘𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙𝙣'𝙩 𝙠𝙚𝙚𝙥 𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙢𝙤𝙪𝙩𝙝 𝙨𝙝𝙪𝙩.

"Captain," a dark scowl twisted her features as she spat, "What the hell is he doing here?"

The words exploded from her lips before she could think better of it. 

A slow, sardonic drawl escaped the seasoned agent sitting next to her. "Well, good morning to you too, buttercup." Jax, with a holster strapped to his hip, took a leisurely sip of his coffee, a sweet aroma of vanilla and hazelnut drifting from his cup. 

He wore his typical black jacket, a deep maroon colored shirt underneath with dark denim jeans, his black cowboy boots poking out of the bottom of his denim. 

Her clenched jaw and narrowed eyes betrayed the irritation simmering beneath the surface. 

The stories people whispered about him at school had mesmerized her, though she'd never seen him at the academy because he had a good six years on her. 

During Freya's six months of interning, he'd done little more than utter a clipped greeting, barely even acknowledging her presence. On her first day, she attempted to make small talk with him, which was a total rookie mistake. 

His late father had only good things to say about his only living son, so she naively assumed Jax would have shared the same charm as his father. 

Boy, was she wrong about that assumption. 

The Captain's tone grew grave. "Antonio received a call to go to Mexico and investigate a child found dead near Falcon Lake," He sighed, shaking his head, "and shortly after, another child went missing."

It was all Cap' had to say in order to bring her back to the most pivotal reason they were here; saving lives and sending whatever evil that roamed the night back to the depths of hell.

She couldn't fathom what the parents were going through. One confirmed dead and another missing - it was enough to grip her heart in a moment of silent despair.

Her eyes widened in sudden realization, the words tumbling from her lips, "The weeping woman.."  Legends spoke of a wailing spirit near Falcon Lake, a woman forever searching for her lost children, luring others to their doom.

La Llorona. 

After catching her husband with another woman, she flew into a fierce rage and drowned her children. According to the lore, they say she she was denied entry to Heaven and was subsequently sent back to Earth to wander the plan in search of her children. 

A chance meeting with this woman wasn't just dangerous, it was a death sentence. Freya's breath caught in her throat. Just the thought of the ghoul sent a wave of nausea crashing over her, prickling her skin with a flutter of goosebumps.