Chapter 2

To Love A Cowboy

Chapter 2

~~ ~~

Stevie was sure that she had misheard "You need my help?" she questioned looking to Luke than back at Leo, surely, she was hearing things.

Luke simply nodded "You'll be inconspicuous"

"I've already agreed with Grandpa that I will be helping the neighbors until Mr. Lewis is healed enough to do all the work himself." Stevie admitted

"I believe that is an even better advantage than I could have asked for" Luke said with a bright smile "There is much more going on than just cattle rustling... perhaps even with the ranch hands- I don't know how far this goes or who is involved but I hope to find the source. It isn't just the Lewis' ranch that is effected by this."

"Is this safe?" Leo questioned stepping forward to stand near her sister.

"Stevie, is a great shot and she is more than capable of taking care of herself- all you girls are."

"You cannot know for certain" Leo interjected "It has been nearly ten years since you've seen us last maybe we aren't as good at things as we were when we were children."

Luke looked at Leo something unreadable in his eyes "I know for certain you are even better now at riding and shooting and ranching- and you are people I can trust- I wouldn't ask this of you if I didn't know you could do it for certain."

Stevie nodded slowly, in her mind she had already decided to help Luke, he was after all a very good friend of hers- besides a little adventure in her life would do her good. She looked to Luke once more- she supposed he was rather handsome, his brown hair curled atop his head, and his brown eyes nearly matched his hair perfectly. He had a straight white smile and the way he looked at Leo she knew he never got over his crush on her. Stevie resisted the urge to smile- they would make a very cute couple-if her sister wasn't so stubborn that is.

"I'll do it" Stevie said finally "I would be happy to help."

Leo looked at her and shook her head before sighing she said "If Stevie is helping, then I will too."

~~ ~~

Ephraim accepted the help of Billy's son Jamie Steele as he got into the wagon bed that would take him back home. Billy made it clear that both Stevie and Jamie were to help him with the ranch and that he needed to heal, but Ephraim didn't like to feel useless he was sure he could take on most of his old tasks with little to no help.

He watched as Stevie walked towards him, she wore dark gray trousers and a light blue striped shirt, her belt was leather with a large belt buckle and a gun on her right hip. And her hair was pulled back into a braid. She loaded two bags in the wagon bed next to him and then helped his little sister Tessa to climb in next to him.

"Alright," Stevie said looking to her uncle then back at Ephraim "are we ready?"

Ephraim nodded and looked to his other little sister, Sophie who set in the wagon seat to the far right, Stevie climbed in sitting next to Sophie and then her uncle Jamie set in the driver's seat taking the reins and putting the wagon in motion.

Jamie looked a lot like Stevie, and was the spitting image of Billy. It was easy to see the family resemblance.

Though he was sure the same could be said about him and his sister's. All three of them had the same blue eyes and dark hair. He looked at Tessa, who wore their father's old black Stetson. She looked at him the way she had since their parent's passed away. A deep sadness in her eyes, something he wished he could have prevented because he knew if effected them all profoundly.

He worried often that he wasn't doing a good job raising his sisters, but then again look at the Steele's they were raised by their grandpa and uncle and they all turned out well. He made a mental note to talk to them or ask them for advice should he need it.

"Do you think you'll get married one day?" Sophie questioned, Ephraim didn't want to turn around to see who that question was directed at but instead remained quiet and waited for an answer.

"I reckon if the right one ever comes along, again..." it was Jamie who answered. It was well known in their small town that Jamie had been engaged in his twenties but the woman he was set to marry died of a fever and most believed he never moved on.

"How old are you?" Sophie questioned

"Soph, that isn't polite" Ephraim interjected rolling his eyes at his little sister

"It don't bother me none" Jamie stated "I'm Thirty-Seven."

"And Stevie? What about you?" Sophie asked "How old are you?"

"I am Twenty-Four" Stevie answered with a chuckle.

"Goodness me, I hope I'm married by your age" Sophie said bluntly "No offense," she added

"Sophie, enough" Ephraim cut in again feeling very annoyed with her.

"I mean no offense" Sophie said again. "I am sorry!"

"Nothing to be sorry about, everyone is entitled to their own opinions." Stevie told her, reassuringly.

"Stevie, What do you look for in a spouse?" Sophie wasted no time getting far too personal.

"I am not really looking to be honest, I am happy with my life."

he was thankful when Jamie changed the subject to cattle prices. Ephraim and Jamie talked the rest of the way and he breathed a sigh of relief that Sophie dropped her conversation.

They pulled up to their small wooden cabin, though it was not as grand as the Steele's home it was nice to be back- this had after all been their home for the past five years and there was a certain welcoming feeling to it.

Sophie and Tessa followed behind him and Stevie as she helped him into the house. He felt mostly better but still was fighting some dizziness, not to mention his gunshot wound still pained him.

Stevie wrapped his good arm around her shoulders and held onto his waist he normally would decline the help but he really couldn't resist being this close to Stevie. She directed him into his small Livingroom and helped him to sit down on the old red settee that set in front of the stone fireplace, she then left the room in the direction of the kitchen.

Sophie followed her to help most likely while Tessa set in the rocking chair next to him. She looked at him with worry evident on her face.

"You coulda died" she stated "Papa died, and I thought you did too."

"I'm not going anywhere Tess," he said

"Don't make promises you can't keep." And with that she left the room. Ephraim sighed, would he ever learn to say the right things? To be someone his sisters could count on? He leaned back on the couch and closed his eyes, what would his mother or father do?

Stevie brought him a warm cup, from the smells of it- coffee and then started the fire in the fireplace before coming to sit next to him on the settee.

"Don't worry," she said "It'll get easier"

He wasn't sure if she had overheard his conversation with Tessa, but that was really what he needed to hear- Stevie had a way about her of just making him feel calm and it was something he had never experienced with anyone else.

~~~~ ~~~~

Author's note

Hi guys!! Sorry I missed last week's upload but I will work hard to get next chapter out next weekend! I hope you are all well! My last day off I spent Christmas decorating- it's already very snowy where I live and I couldn't resist lol! What are your holiday traditions?

It feels good to not be working so much and to be able to feel like I have time to write and to have a life! I have honestly felt very burned out since 2020 (I work in the medical field) and it feels nice to catch my breath so to speak!

AnywaysPlease vote and comment <3