Chapter 25

Caden licked the pad of his thumb, getting rid of any traces of vanilla ice cream. I was now going to be broke. Well, okay, not broke but the little money I'd brought was going to be taken up and I had no right to complain. Sai being the evil human being she was, also somehow managed to convince me to pay for her food as well.

God dang it. Apparently I was more interested in Caden's basic tastes in desserts than getting Jordan's attention, because I hadn't noticed him whispering to his friends before jogging over to us.

"Hey, didn't know you guys were hanging out here!" My head snapped up. He looked at me and then at Sai, a bright grin displaying his white teeth. He was wearing a black bomber jacket, the sleeves all rolled up to reveal smooth brown skin.

Caden put his spoon down in his cup and leaned back. "Craved something sweet so here we are," he said.

"I didn't think you were the type to hang out?"

"Guess you don't know me that well."

Jordan's smile wavered just a tad as Sai cleared her throat to hide her snort. Seeing the dimness in his expression made me shift into my seat. I didn't know why I was such a pushover because I literally felt so bad for him at that moment, standing there like a lost puppy. God knew how many times I'd been in that situation.

"At least you know now," I added, ignoring the look Sai was sending me. "Do you want to join?"

"Thanks but uh, I came with my mates."

"They wouldn't mind, would they?" asked Caden, gesturing toward them. They were standing near the front door, itching to leave. Jordan scratched the back of his neck, lips twisted in contemplation.

"I..." He glanced at Sai before shrugging. "I guess not." She scooched over, making sure he wasn't looking at her to roll her eyes at me and stick her tongue out in a gagging motion. "Wait, vanilla? Dude, so basic?"

He shrugged with a smug grin. "I like my ice cream like I like my women."

"Vanilla?" retorted Sai.

Caden's lips stretched wider. "How else?" Jordan snickered.

"I don't get it," I piped in. Caden gave me a look that clearly said, 'Are you fucking serious?' and shook his head. Jordan turned to his crush, completely ignoring me. I ignored the pinch in my chest and used that moment to lean into Caden. "Tell me!"

"If you don't know, why should I tell you?"

"That's exactly the reason why you should tell me."

"Nah." I pinched his arm and he clicked his tongue, glaring at me. "Don't touch me."

I pinched him again. "What're you gonna do?"

"I'll tell Jordan what I'm really doing here."

Why did everyone have leverage over me? This was getting tiresome. I ground my teeth. "I hate you."

"Good."

"After he leaves, I'm going to re-punch and re-break that nose of yours."

Caden squinted, offering a bemused smile. "You're welcome to try, shortcake," he drawled. Using my spoon, I scooped a big chunk of his ice cream. He smacked my hand and I gasped, nearly dropping the spoon.

"Don't do that!"

"You're the one fucking stealing my shit."

"That I'm paying for." I pushed him away and shoved the creamy delicacy in my mouth before pointing at him with the spoon. "Ha, that's what you get!"