Chapter 9-Tesha

Date on Earth: Wednesday, October 4th

"Ms. Aster. What a surprise. Though not a welcome one."

I pulled out my gun in a half-hearted attempt to intimidate the general, but he just gazed upon me in superiority.

"And what do you plan to do with that little weapon of yours? Force me to the ground while I beg for you to spare my life? Has the new atmosphere of Earth clogged your memory of my abilities?" To serve as a reminder, a cold breeze passed by and ice crystals started to form on the ground.

"The air of Earth contains so much moisture." Inugio seemed to be in a daze as he reached his hands out. "How powerful I will be here."

I felt a tap on my shoulder. "Uh, Tesha? What's the dude with the horrible haircut saying?" Asher whispered to me. "And how is he doing...that?"

Inugio turned his gaze to him before looking back at me. "Well, Ms. Aster? Are you going to introduce me to your new acquaintances?" The general now spoke in English, using the translating device my mother helped create.

"This is General Inugio," I told the three Earthens, proud of my voice for not shaking. "He is the commander of the Axonian army, as well as the fourth Chosen." There was a collective gasp.

"A fourth?" Tristen hissed. "Thought there were only three!"

A look of realization came across the general's face. "Oh," he said, studying the three humans.

"Oh," he said again, with a growing grin. "These are the Chosen ones of Earth? Three adolescent children? Is this the best Earth had to offer? How pathetic."

"Hey, at least we have all our hair you bald headed-" Diana was cut off, suddenly wrapping her arms around herself and shivering.

Inugio tilted his head at the red headed girl. "There's a spark inside of this one. She may not be completely helpless after all." Diana continued to shiver.

"Inugio," I told him. "Stop it."

The general turned towards me. "I was wondering how long it would take for an order to come out of you. Always ordering others what to do, just like your mother." He flicked his hand and Diana fell to the ground, shaking.

"Yes, these are the Chosen," I said to Inugio, trying to ignore the mention of my mother. "And the Jh'ai have found them worthy." I bit my lip, hoping that was the case and not just a result of a lack of options.

The general clicked his tongue. "No creatures other than the Axones are worthy to be hosts of such power." Inugio took a few steps down the ramp, five Axones trailing behind. My breath caught as I saw my friend, Lyzel.

Lyzel was like a brother to me on Nibura. We told each other everything and kept each other safe. When he found out about me and my mother's rebellious plan, he begged to help. He had acted as the distraction while we stole the Jh'ai.

He snuck a glance at me, face falling. Lyzel made a small gesture to his neck and understanding crashed through me. He had been picked to join General Inugio's mission and received the Hiqe Yuerset—the mark of obedience. Betraying it would be an act of treason, punishable by death.

I bowed my head slightly, a sign of forgiveness. Lyzel smiled gratefully.

Inugio disrupted our silent exchange. "You and your mother have made a grave mistake, Child of the Stars. Sending the Jh'ai to Earth has spelled out the fate for these three innocent humans. They now possess the power belonging to Nibura, giving us no choice but to eradicate them."

"When you say eradicate,'" Asher asked slowly. "Do you mean like, kill?"

Inugio's face contorted into confusion. "That is what the word means, is it not?"