Chapter 8 - Craize

Fury precedes my snarl before my senses rise from the inky mass of sedatives flowing in my veins. As my sound of anger bounces back to my ears, my eyes slit open to reveal blinding light. Cracking them wider, I grit my teeth and end my growl, struggling to compose my thoughts through the haze of confusion.

Never have I lost myself so completely.

Curved horns and green irises peer down at me, Gric's ugly mug the last thing I want to see at the moment.

Chains stop me when I try to lift my arm, setting off another wave of madness, my muscles tensing as my spine bucks and beastly snarls rip from my throat.

An annoyed sigh breaks whatever spell holds me hostage. I suck in a breath and swallow the growl rumbling up my throat. As I rein in the monster wrecking my control, I take stock of my situation.

Frigid floor under my back. Unyielding chains strapped across my torso. More metal bolting my wrists and ankles to the concrete. Pain in my upper back, yet the tightness of a bandage assuring me they at least tended my wound before strapping me down. Gore sticking to my flesh and drying in my clothes.

Between the stench of death and a mix of potent alpha pheromones clouding the air, the scent I crave the most eludes me.

My nightmares blast through my skull, the last time I woke in such a position leading to weeks of torture.

I didn't deserve it then, but maybe I do now.

Recent memories surface from the fog of rage, offering me gorgeous green eyes, a soft tongue laving my cockhead, and the most perfect body under mine.

What have I done?

Her terror settles into places I rarely visit, occupying the recesses of my soul.

"Are you done?"

Steil's voice shocks me into the present. I search for him, tilting my head so he's in my line of sight. The cold metal digs into my throat, centering me to reality.

I quirk a brow, unable to form words through the cacophony of emotions roiling in my guts. The bastard shot me with a tranquilizer and expects me to wake up in a talking mood?

"The facility isn't secured. It isn't safe to leave you like this, but there's no chance in hell we're releasing you."

I fill my lungs to capacity, planning to release it on a calming exhale, but rumble my annoyance instead.

Lyc's eerie crimson orbs ghost into my view, his silent footsteps giving me no warning of his approach. His words simultaneously ease my anger and yet make me want to rampage.

"The female you attacked is with the medics. The facility may not be secured, but she is."

"She's mine."

The words tear from my throat on a snarl before I contain them, the red haze of insanity encroaching on my lucidity.

"Yeah, yeah, you said that already. Feathers on a phallus, you sound like an imbecile," Gric rumbles his exasperation with a faux sigh.

I lift my lip but don't turn to look at him, holding on to cognizance by a thread.

"He's found his lifemate. Watch your tongue, Gric, or you may lose it," Steil replies, his tone relaying how serious the situation is. After glaring at the cerulean fool on the other side of the room, Steil meets my glare and shakes his head.

"The three of you continue to clear the rooms between here and the next sector. Stay together. Keep comms open."

My teammates leave the chamber on silent feet, taking their cloying pheromones with them.

Steil stares down at me, keeping his distance so as not to trigger the raging beast howling within my soul. After a few minutes of silence, he rubs his forehead before pulling in a deep breath.

"We can't break protocol. She's technically a recovered prisoner of war, so we have to take precautions."

Despite his even tone and lowered volume, my muscles strain against the chains.

"They've been experimenting on her. You can't claim her until she's cleared by medical personnel."

Metal clanks as fury contorts my spine.

"You may not be able to fully process my words in your current state, but I'll give you the facts anyway."

The roaring in my soul makes it difficult to hear him, but after futilely battling the chains for a few moments, the raging fury settles enough for me to hear him.

"They'll do blood work on her. Run her through the basic tests. Whether she passes or fails, you will then be granted visitation rights. These will be monitored until she's cleared of all potential threats. Neither you nor I have a say in this. We must do what's right for the entire brigade."

Steil stands as still as a statue, staring straight down into my eyes with neither remorse nor give. As he promised, he keeps his words succinct and straightforward.

I dig my fingertips into the floor and suck down several calming breaths before responding.

"How long?"

His steely pupils shrink and grow as his clear eyelids sweep across his orbs. He searches my face, the long seconds of silence between us making my nerves jangle.

"How long until what?"

"Until I can claim her."

"Let's take this one step at a time."

A pathetic whine leaks up my throat, the sound so foreign I don't realize I made it for a full three seconds.

Time stands still as both Steil and I stare at each other in shock. The muscle along his jaw tics before he continues.

"The blood work should be complete in a few hours. I spoke to a few people on your behalf, and given the situation, her case has been bumped to top priority. No one wants a berserk Warrior Elite."

The soft growl emitting from my chest pulses, the churning instincts and emotions within my soul requiring some form of release.

I hear his words. Logically, I understand. But no.

I cannot wait.

I cannot be apart from her.

The thought of others sticking needles in her flesh and touching her body brings the beast back full force.

I must have her.

Now.