I've Just Seen A Face

The Shape stood ever so still as he stared through the dirty windows of his childhood home. He watched the busy streets of Haddonfield with anticipation, unable to keep his eyes from darting left to right as he waited. This had become more of an addiction to him than a routine, waiting at the window each day like this. Waiting to see her.

It started years ago on Halloween night. He had nearly completed his mission, he almost had Laurie but of course Loomis had seen to it that she wouldn't meet her end that night. He made his way to the woods, wounded and looking for cover. He saw the small glow of a fire and silently followed its light. He winced underneath his mask as he held the spot on his abdomen the bullets had pierced with his free hand. The other gripped the handle of his knife with rage. Perhaps he'd find relief in slaying whomever he was about to come upon.

He could hear their laughter and quiet conversation as he inched closer. He stopped in the tree line, wanting to get a good idea of who his next victims would be. It always made the kill that much more satisfying. He peered through the trees at the two young women perched on a log. It looked to be that it was just them, which somewhat surprised him. He was so used to people their age having some sort of partner for the night, unable to curb their secret desires. He felt his grip on his knife tightening at the thought.

"I don't know, (y/fn), I think it's just me. I'm supposed to be alone," he heard one of the girls say.

"Don't sell yourself short, (y/n), there's someone out there for everyone. Besides, who wants to be alone forever? Everyone needs at least a little fun at some point, even you," the other one said, a grin spreading across her face as she nudged her friend.

She seemed amused by her friend's playful gesture but shook her head, "But I'm not selling myself short, I'm okay with it. I have friends, family and a life I love living, without the hassle of worrying about a man," she said confidently.

Michael was intrigued. He could just barely make out the glint in her eyes as she studied the dancing fire. She seemed genuine, pure when she spoke and the misty look in her eyes was a confirmation. He wanted to see more of it. Unbeknownst to him, he was inching closer as she spoke. Something about her was luring him in. While under her spell, a twig snapped under his boot. A mistake he's never made.

The girl's head whipped towards his direction. He knew she couldn't see him, but he was unprepared for the strange onslaught of emotions her gaze stirred up in him. He tilted his head and took his opportunity to study her. She had innocence written all over her, but there was a hint of fire in her eyes. A free spirit living in her delicate features. Her (h/c) hair was lifted by the breeze that rolled past, making her look almost mythical. She furrowed her brow in confusion, staring silently for a moment at the Shape, though she couldn't quite figure out what she was looking at. The shadows played over his figure, disguising him in the night. When she turned away with a shrug he was met with a feeling he could only assume was disappointment.

"What was that?" Her friend inquired.

"Dunno," she said with that same confused look on her face, "maybe it's the bogeyman?"

Her friend chuckled, "You wish."

Michael looked down at his knife, seeing his grip soften. It almost enraged him. He had never hesitated before and nothing was stopping him, but those feeling were something he'd never felt before. They were completely unknown, and he couldn't help but be curious about them. He looked back at her one last time, feeling that same melting sensation again.

He backed away into the trees, but he didn't venture far. He wasn't done here.