Slew-Foot

"Thought we built a dynasty forever couldn't break up

"Thought we built a dynasty forever couldn't break up."
Dynasty
MIIA

Dream

"I doubt it will heal any faster than this."

"He won't be able to play the rest of this season."

"If he continues he could possibly get contracted as a sub."

The air is cold. The rooms I walk into are cold. Even the ice rink, but that's to be expected.

Pros: I can move my fingers and I still have mobility of my arm.
Cons: well everything else.

"Keep tight on the left side." It's pathetic really. Still being here when I won't be able to ever do this again, but a captain still has captain's duties. "Don't swing left. Stop passing with your eyes closed, Foolish!"

Courtney broke up with me. I'm relieved about it overall but it doesn't mean it didn't hurt. Am I a horrible person for mourning someone I didn't appreciate enough? I loved her, that's the confusing part. Full-heartedly, I was in love with her for a time. Every breath and every thought was about her. It doesn't make any sense why it's not there anymore. Or considering if it was ever there in the first place.

I think I might have loved the idea of her. The picture-perfect straight couple that has been shoved in my face since a young age. So, in the end, I don't exactly know if I'm mourning the idea my younger self had about my future or if it's just Courtney. There are so many questions I want to ask George, but even that relationship is in shambles. Not to mention the uneasy realization of what we were. What we might have always been. Overly touchy friends seem to just be lovers in disguise. A disguise I was blind to the entire fucking time.

"Thinking hard about the plays 17?" Coach Carrion skates up beside me to lean against the plexiglass. He looks as burly and unapproachable as ever. The tattoo snaking up onto his neck still ominous and off putting.

"More like who you should make captain." I watch Punz tank Sapnap for no other reason than to be an ass. They topple around before seeming to figure out their play. "Though none of them are level-headed enough."

It was inevitable. To be kicked off the team when you can't contribute. It's not really my place to be here anymore, I can't do shit. I can't even drive myself places. There are a lot of bittersweet endings happening this year. The last semester is already on a roll, which means I'll graduate in a few months. I'll receive a degree and go job hunting since hockey is no longer a part of my future. My college years will be considered finished as well as a dream that I've had since the age of seven.

"You're going?" Coach crosses his arms and frowns.

"Physical therapist said it wasn't looking good." A huff, "I will be lucky to even pick up a breakfast plate when it heals over, let alone shoot pucks across the floor."