Fifteen

"Draco?" My eyes remained on the glass window that looked out into the Black Lake while I laid on my back on my bed. The glow of his wand reflected in the glass as he took his time healing my wounds— old and some new. I could feel the soft fur of Tundra on my legs through my tights as she laid between my knees.

He hummed to allow me to know he was listening to me. That would have to be a good enough response because I knew he wouldn't give me anything else, and I couldn't see him. Facing him in such a vulnerable state didn't feel like much of an option right now— unless I wanted to completely embarrass myself.

"I have 2 questions." He snickered at that. I could see him shaking his head in his reflection, a snide smirk on his lips.

"You have a million fucking questions in that big brain of yours, Rook. You're only choosing to ask me 2 of them at the moment." He corrected. I sucked my bottom lip between my teeth and winced from the tingle of his wand on my abdomen. "What?" He paused briefly with a hint of concern. "I didn't hurt you, right?" I shook my head immediately.

"No. I'm fine." I promised, my eyes still avoiding him. The warm magic started spreading over my ribs once again. "You're just as bad as me— if not worse. It's one of our many similarities." I teased. He sat in silence. "Can I ask them?"

"Is that one of your 2 questions?" My eyes rolled, but my heart jolted when his cold fingers grazed over my stomach to find a new spot to heal.

I thought it was necessary for him to hold me down like this in order to do his job properly, but he was doing it on purpose. Those little grazes across my delicate skin were fueling a new fire in him that burned worse than anything he had ever felt. The restraint he had to use to keep from doing more than gently feeling my soft skin beneath his subtle fingers made him feel like he deserved the aching in his stomach.

"Number 1," I started before he changed his mind, "how can you help me?" My index finger and thumb rubbed together to keep my mind occupied.

"There's a number of ways. You'll just have to be more specific and tell me what you want out of this." Emotionless responses weren't something I wasn't used to, but I still pretended he didn't mean to come off as harsh as they did. "Do you want to fight back? Mentally challenge them to let you free? Physically? Magically?" He asked in a typical monotoned manner.

"I want my brain to stop working against me. I want to be like you or Graham or Pucey, and I don't want anything to affect me anymore. I don't want to have feelings." It sounded like such a good plan as my hollow voice spoke the words. To be emotionless like Graham and Draco, and nothing could ever go wrong. I could welcome the numbness instead of being ambushed by it every single day of my life.

My light was dimming out. Only a few embers left in the flame of fight left inside of me. 

"I have feelings." His low voice muttered. I lolled my head to the side to finally look at him with a questioning stare. His tongue was poking out between his lips while he concentrated on my fragile skin. My eyes must have been distracting him because he stopped and looked back at me. "What?"

"You do not have feelings." I challenged him with a slight smirk appearing on my lips. "You're like a brick wall. You never smile a real smile— just that stupid condescending smirk that shows everyone how poorly you think of them— you have the perfect response for everything, you're always brooding." I teased him. "You are so calculated, you would think others would see it coming, yet your next move is still unpredictable. Everyone only knows one thing about you. You care about nothing," except you, his mind now shouted, "and you don't have to go through all that abuse anymore. You're much stronger than I ever will be-"