Chapter 1: Annoying asf

♦ ♢ ♦  Xavier ♦ ♢ ♦

Kaitlyn Louise Sharpe.

Where do I even start... Oh, I've got an idea:

The damn bane of my existence.

The most annoying chick in this entire damn school, superficial and fucking fake.

The innocent flower.

A princess.

So she's obviously got a knight in shining armour, right?

That'd be Dexter Terrence, my mortal enemy. The same dickhead that's just pushed my teammate, Collin, in the cafeteria, making him fall on the ground and getting his food all over himself.

I get up from my table, Sebastian and Carter getting up behind me as I walk down the aisle to the pretty boy that's got the audacity to start things up with me, after I knocked this fucker out in one punch. Got detention for a week, but that bruise lasted on his cheek for a whole month.

Worth it.

"What do we have here?" I drawl, crossing my arms over my chest as Sebastian helps Collin, a freshman, up.

"Only you could have a tiny shit like him on your team, Altson," Terrence laughs.

I cock my head. "Aren't you supposed to be the pretty boy with a clean mouth? What, your little girlfriend forgot to hand-feed you mouthwash this morning?"

"Don't talk about Kaity," he sneers, trying to look intimidating. Tough shit.

Cue internal eye roll.

"It's okay, Dexter," said Kaity comes running from her table, all innocent and protective of her pretty faced boyfriend. "Let him talk," she looks down her perfect nose at me, as always, like I'm some insect that's not worth her time.

Cue another internal eye roll.

"Don't you look pretty today, Kaity," I purr, watching both their eyes flash.

Success has never tasted sweeter than eating it right out of their hands.

Carter laughs as he puts an arm around my shoulder, dragging me away from the match-made-in-hell couple. "Don't want you punching him again, Xavier. We need our captain on the ice, not the bench."

Fair point, but, "If that motherfucker tries something again," I tell Collin, who's wide-eyed. "Then you tell me, alright?" and Collin nods vigorously.

As we sit on our table, Luna, Seb's girlfriend, shakes her head. "You need to stop toying with Kaitlyn, Xav."

I pout. "But she's so easy to make fun of. Why wouldn't I?"

She laughs. "You and your idiotic ways of thinking. Sebby, why don't you try talking some sense into him?"

Sebastian looks at me, then burst out laughing. I give him a side smirk. "This fucker won't listen to me, babe. He's a stubborn mule. Besides, he'd rather watch Terrence die than stand back down."

True.

"I still don't get what you have against those two," Luna frowns.

I shrug. "Long story."

"We've got time," she pouts, looking between Seb and I.

"Not in the mood," I tell her, making her sigh. But I feel eyes on me, like I always do. It's annoying as fuck. Like I've got slime on my skin and I can't wash it out.

I turn my head to find Kaitlyn's blue eyes staring at me, hate filled and full of annoyance. The same eyes that used to tear up whenever I got injured. The same ones that used to shine when we did our handshake or cracked an inside joke that only the two of us knew. The ones that used to burn as bright as mine, but now, they are dull. Shallow, like herself.