Chapter 50 Pt. 2

"What have you become?"

***

Kevin and I finally got back to the manor after an hour of traveling. Fortunately, we'd managed to stay off the radar of anyone who might be searching for us.

Cyrena met us by the door. Her cerulean eyes swept over him in mild curiosity. "You must be Kevin Hale." Her tone was curt.

"And you must be the infamous Cyrena Damaris." He offered a smile.

"Lord Kevin Hale." I mouthed to her. She forced a smile but didn't correct herself.

Naturally, she wasn't too eager to be working alongside Origens she didn't know. Garrett and Demetri had saved our lives, but Kevin had yet to prove himself to her.

"Kevin, Cyrena was my greatest friend at the Spade castle."

"Was?" Cyrena pretended to pout. "I'm hurt, Bettie."

"You know what I mean." I nudged her shoulder and her face brightened in a smile. Once her eyes found Kevin again, the smile flickered and faded.

I decided to leave her be. I wouldn't force a friendship to happen between them. That was something that had to happen naturally, as they both worked to earn each other's trust.

Besides, it just wasn't possible for someone to dislike Kevin. It was only a matter of time before he won her over—and he wouldn't even have to try.

Once inside the house, I slipped my sealing ring back on. My secret was already out in the open, but somehow wearing it offered a small yet significant level of comfort.

Perhaps inwardly, I wanted things to feel normal when Ashton showed up. He had been following behind Kevin and me, but since I hadn't chosen him as my traveling companion, he'd had to keep his distance.

As expected, Ashton arrived a few minutes after us, his brows still knitted together in thought. Once he was there, I introduced him and Cyrena to each other as non-awkwardly as I could.

Because Ashton was a DeLorentes and the crown prince of an enemy nation, her distrust for him was even greater than her distrust for Kevin. But I was confident that she'd warm up to him soon.

After the introductions were out of the way, Cyrena removed her sealing ring. Kevin and Ashton shot me a sidelong glance, probably sensing the difference in power between me and her.

Ashton's eyes drifted to my sealing ring and then traveled back up to linger on my face. I couldn't bear to look away from him. Even though I was still upset by his reaction, I didn't want us to be apart again after we'd been separated for so long. He took a hauntingly slow step forward, and my heart strummed to the rhythm of his presence.

His lips parted, but before he got the chance to say anything, his attention was quickly called away by Kevin, who told him that he needed to discuss something with him urgently.

My heart fell, and Ashton groaned softly. I could almost see the thoughts rushing through his mind as he contemplated ignoring his second in command and coming over to me instead.

I wanted to go to him, too, but Kevin must have wanted to discuss matters of the kingdom with Ashton and whether I liked it or not, he was the crown prince and I couldn't distract him from his duties.

I followed Cyrena upstairs to check on Garrett. She'd given him some more medication and his wound was healing well, but he'd fallen unconscious again. His re-introduction with Ashton and Kevin would have to wait for a while, although I doubt it'd be much of a joyful reunion considering everything that had happened.