Pack Bonding

Wednesday and Enid step out of Enid's Dad's car at the edge of town. It's an older car, but at least it has a motor and can go over more than 10 miles an hour unlike the Addam's family carriage. The girls have decided on a shopping trip to the local town. 

It's not the most lively or densely populated place, nor is there much to do, but Enid promised Wednesday they could go to the local oddity shop. Which is of enough interest to her to get Wednesday to agree to be dragged to Enid's favourite clothing stores first. Wednesday kind of wishes Thing was here, instead of travelling to his girlfriend's place, but then again it does feel weirdly... nice... to have all of Enid's attention for the day.

"Thank you, Mr Sinclair," Wednesday says, pulling her leather bat-shaped backpack out from the back seat.

"Thanks, Dad!" Enid leans through his window and gives him a kiss on the cheek. "Say hi to the others for me!"

Mr Sinclair nods, "Will do, kiddo. See you two in a couple of hours. Keep your phone on you, alright, Enid?"

Enid nods, waving her phone and its iridescent butterfly-themed case back at him as she and Wednesday walk away from the car and into the local shopping district.

For about an hour Wednesday watches Enid try on dresses and sweaters and shoes around town. After she's sat at several different stores, giving the occasional favourable nod or disapproving eyebrow raises to Enid's impromptu fashion shows, the two girls finally stop for a food break.

"What do you want to get?" Enid says, shuffling her bags to sit more comfortably on her arms. "There's not like a crazy amount of stuff around. Like a couple of bakeries, a Mcdonald's. Ooh! I think there's also a Taco Bell that's just opened up, but that's a bit of a walk that way." Enid gestures vaguely to her left.

Wednesday leaves the choice up to Enid, which she ends up regretting when she chooses Taco Bell. Enid justifies it by saying it's close to their next stop- the hyped-up oddity shop.

When the two girls enter the Taco Bell, however, things start to get interesting, in the way only Wednesday and her morbid appeals could be intrigued by. 

Enid is chatting happily away as they approach the doors, sticking out her bag-covered arm to pull it open for Wednesday. But with her fingers just inches from grabbing the cold metal handle, she stops. Her hand freezes and her mouth stops moving. She looks like one of the stone statues found in the foyer of Sinclair Manor.

"Enid?" Wednesday puts her hand on her friend's shoulder, shocking her back to reality.

"Sorry," Enid says, shaking the freeze out of her body. "Sorry, I just..." She jerks her head slightly, indicating towards a table inside the fast food restaurant where a group of kids around the girls' age are seated, eating, talking and laughing together. They haven't seen Enid or Wednesday yet. "Some old, uh, friends."

Wednesday doesn't respond beyond a curt nod, but she does make a mental note of the fact that the way Enid says 'friend' sounds nothing like the way it does when she's referring to Wednesday, Ajax or Yoko. Which suggests that these people aren't actually friends of Enid.

The two girls push through the double doors of Taco Bell and head directly to the counter, Enid pointedly not looking at the group of teens, and Wednesday noticing this.

They stand in line and order without incident, even managing to make it to a table before the other teens finally notice them. 

"Enid Sinclair! No fucking way!" one of the girls, a brunette, calls across the restaurant, her tone sounds humorous but her face looks somewhat curious. 

Enid looks at Wednesday. "Don't say a word. Just ignore them and they'll go away."

"Does that usually work?" Wednesday deadpans, not bothering to acknowledge the obvious contradiction to Enid's earlier classification of the group being her friends.