Chapter 7 (FREE BIRD)

The loud chirping of birds wakes up Anastasia from her deep slumber

The loud chirping of birds wakes up Anastasia from her deep slumber. She slowly opens her tired eyes and it takes a minute for her vision to adjust.

Finding herself on a bed really feels like a crime to her. She immediately pulls herself up in sitting position while wincing at the pain in her chest.

She carefully looks around the room while clutching to her chest. Last night's memories comes in front of her eyes and her heart falls in a pit of dread.

She instantly drags herself out of the bed, all the time while fearing for the punishment Paul must have stored for her.

Just as she puts her weight on her feet to stand, a familiar ache spreads in her ankle. She almost collapses but years of training on surviving on broken and beaten bones have provided her enough endurance.

She looks down at herself and notices that her clothes are changed. She's wearing a light blue cotton dress.

But as she glances at her bare arms, she could not hold back a cringe.

Her arms are covered with scars and they look awful.

She cannot find her shoes anywhere; so bare-feet she slowly makes her way towards the door. Just as her hand reaches up to open the door, it flings open by itself almost hitting her across her face.

A young girl in a nurse dress, a little older than her age steps inside. Her eyes widens finding Anastasia up on her feet and moving.

"Woah! You are awake. No-one expected you to be up so soon." That nurse says in a awe-struck voice.

"Does it hurt?" She points at her chest but Anastasia blankly stares back at her.

"Please sit down. I think I should call doctor, so he can check you up." She smiles but it turns awkward when Anastasia looks down after a staring session.

"Umm hello?" She lifts her hand to tap her shoulder but Anastasia takes a step back in fear.

That girl's eyes falls on her bare arms and she holds in a shiver of disgust and horror that Anastasia immediately notices.

Seeing no other choice, Anastasia silently walks past her.

"Wait! Where are you going?! You need to rest!" The girl screams from behind.

Just as Anastasia rounds a corner, she bumps into someone. A whimper escapes her lips at the feeling of pain getting inflamed in her chest.

She slowly glances up to find the man she saw in school yesterday along with Arabella. His name is Giovanni if she remembers correctly.

He is staring down at her with a coldest look on his face that could even put shame to Paul.

"Who the fuck are you now?" He asks her in a tone that almost sounds dead to ears. There isn't a single hint of any emotion.

"Oh Sir! She's that girl Sir Anastasio and Sir Stefano brought yesterday. 'The witness'." The girl who was earlier in her room, blabbers nervously in front of him.

She looks uneasy. That Anastasia instantly notices and a panic arises in her own chest. She straightens up in alert too.

Giovanni on the same note picks up the sound of un-heavy breathing coming from her. Her face has turned deathly pale and fear-stricken.

His eye glances down at her already scarred arms where she involuntarily and unconsciously starts to scratch with her nails.

After a long pause of silence, he lifts his hand up.

But the strange girl flinches back in fear with her eyes wide in horror. Eyes that look too familiar to his taste.

His jaw clenches.

Her eyes follows his action as he pulls her hands down at her side before enclosing his huge hand around her dainty wrist.

The most shocking thing that Anastasia notices is that the panic in her chest settles down in the same moment.

She feels something she hasn't feel in a long time.

Comfort.

She swallows hard.

He was about to tug her behind him when suddenly a small pained sound gurgles in the back of her throat.

His faintly tight grip loosens at the same second and with his light grip around her wrist, he starts to pull her behind himself.

His sharp subconscious takes notice of lack of any sign of rebellion.

She obeys fearfully but obediently.

The young nurse standing in the middle of hallway looks at the scene completely amazed, just remaining frozen at her place.

Never ever she could have bet thinking to see such type of scene that just displayed in front of her eyes.

Giovanni is called ruthless. They say that he doesn't know how to treat a fragile glass but here she is witnessing him ready to pick the shattered pieces of this strange girl's soul.

Anastasia looks up as they make their way in open area out of this strange building. The sky is covering with thundering clouds but warmth of sun haven't fully dulled yet.

This is such a strange sight to see.

So strange but so hopeful.

But for Anastasia her every hope is dead a very long time back ago. The gloomy, thundering clouds have sheltered her throughout her whole life and she always used to yearn for this warmth of sun.

But as she continued growing up, she realized she was just cursed to never be blessed with this warmth.

How cruel!

They walk through a path that somehow feels familiar. Suddenly her heart starts to race as a nostalgic kind of emotion hit her.

She blinks in confusion.

Why does it feel like-like she knows? She knows every corner around of this place even when she never ever stepped out of her painful world that Paul have created for her.

Why does this longing feeling is suddenly starting to gnaw at her chest?

Why is she imagining herself flying as a free bird here?

Why does she feel so calm?

Why does it feels like she's finally home?

Hii guys...

That wrapped up the seven chapter. I hope you are enjoying reading this book. Please make sure to like this chapter and comment your thoughts. You can also get early access upto 23chapters on patreon if you would like...

Anyway, take care and stay safe....

Lots of love🌹❤️