Chapter 11

With one last look at the bathroom mirror, I examined the uneven wing of my eyeliner.

"Jesus. I used to be good at this, didn't I?"

Muttering a quick epithet, I set the pen down on the countertop, accepting the state of affairs on my face.

For a girl who'd once routinely worn a full face, my makeup skills had seriously deteriorated.

That girl is long gone.

A voice to my right snapped me out of my reverie-

"You look great! Now, get out of the bathroom, I have to pee."

Glancing over, I saw River leaning against the door jamb.

"Are you sure?"

River nodded, sage and serene, "Definitely."

Looking back at my reflection, I sighed. "I don't even know why I'm bothering. If the goal is to get him to give up on his crush, then I should be showing up in a hoodie and sweatpants, you know? Give him a good look at the real me?"

River's eyes narrowed as they shook their head swiftly. "You absolutely shouldn't do that."

"Why-"

"Look, don't overthink it; it's fun to dress up, and goddess knows it's been a while since you've had an excuse."

I grimaced. A while was putting it mildly...

"You'd tell me if I was making a mistake, right?"

River snorted, "Soph, it's dinner. Just relax, try to enjoy yourself, and remember to bring home leftovers, okay?"

Eyeing myself in the mirror, I nodded, taking a breath as I tucked my hair behind my ear.

"Okay."

Luck was on my side as I found an empty parking spot just down the street from the restaurant.

Turning in, I shifted into park and killed the engine, taking a moment to glance in the rearview mirror and examine the state of my makeup.

Ready or not...

Exhaling slowly, I unclipped my seatbelt and opened the door, standing up and breathing in the fragrant evening air.

My heels clicked against the pavement as I stepped onto the sidewalk, slipping my keys into my purse.

Then, looking up, I faltered.

Malcolm stood, dumbstruck, an unreadable expression on his face as his gaze raked over me.

Slowing my pace as I neared him, I glanced down at myself. "Is there something on me?"

Looking up, I watched as my words processed through his daze.

Meeting my stare, he blinked slowly, "Hmm?" Then he finally seemed to hear my question, and his eyebrows raised, "Oh, no – you look amazing; I'm just realizing that I underdressed."

Scanning him up and down, I couldn't find anything wrong with his outfit; the leather motorcycle jacket/black button-up combo with grey-washed jeans looked damn good on him...

At least he's wearing clothes.

I pressed my lips together, fighting back a wicked grin.

"You didn't underdress," I replied, "I overdressed." Shrugging, I continued, "This had been sitting in my closet for a while, and I finally had an excuse to pull it out."