Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter Forty-Four

Ch.44: Men in Masks

Elle called early the next morning. "How is he?" she said.

I closed the bedroom door and padded over to the kitchen. "He's still sleeping."

"Do you need anything?"

"I honestly don't know." I rubbed my eyes with one hand, but they still felt gritty with exhaustion. I'd barely slept last night, convinced that if I did, Jude would need me again.

There was a moment of silence, but it felt weighted, as if Elle was holding something back.

"Neil wants Jude to make a statement today," she said at last.

I felt a hot spark of anger. "That's the last thing he needs right now."

"I know, and I've told Neil that, but I wanted to give you a heads-up. If he calls, don't answer it. If he comes to the loft, don't let him in."

"I won't."

Someone knocked on the door, and my hand tightened around the phone. "If that's him, I'll hit him upside the head with a frying pan."

"And I fully support that, but Neil doesn't usually knock," Elle said.

The knock came again, and this time I hurried to answer it. If it was Neil, and he'd developed some basic manners, then I'd shut the door in his face. If it wasn't, then I had to be sure it wasn't something important.

Jude's bandmates stood outside, Franky at the front, Eric and Carlos huddled behind him.

"Oh," I said, because I'm nothing if not eloquent. "Hi."

"Who is it?" Elle hissed down the phone.

"Just give me a second," I said to the guys. I closed the door and brought the phone back to my ear. "It's the rest of the band. Should I let them in?"

From what I'd seen of them, they had a good relationship with Jude, but how close could they really get when they all knew that their time with Angels & Demons was limited?

I had no idea if any of them knew Darrell, or if Jude would want them here.

"Elle?" I said, when she didn't respond.

"I'm thinking."

I waited.

"Let them in," Elle said at last.

I opened the door and smiled sheepishly at the guys. "Sorry about that."

"Can we come in?" Franky asked.

"You can, but Jude's still asleep, and I'm not waking him up," I said.

The guys trooped into the loft, moving more quietly than I thought they normally did, like they were trying to take up less space.

Eric sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. "I don't really know what to say," he admitted.

"Neither do I," I said.

"How are you holding up?" Carlos asked.

"I honestly don't know."

We stood in silence, staring at each other for a moment, before I realised that someone was saying my name in a small, faraway voice. Elle was still on the phone.

"Sorry, can I call you back?" I said to her.

"Sure."

I hung up, and slid my phone into my pocket. "Can I get anyone some coffee?"

"That would be great, thanks," Franky said.

As I headed for the coffee-machine, the guys sat on the stools. I had no idea what to say to any of them, but I was glad that they were here. Since Darrell's death, the atmosphere in the loft had felt jagged and wrong, and having people here – even if I didn't really know them – softened those sharp edges.

icon lock

Show your support for Bella_Higgin, and continue reading this story

by Bella_Higgin
@Bella_Higgin
When Camden Harris accidentally marries global rockstar Jude Scott af...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 10 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @Bella_Higgin.