iv. ━━ kiss me in your car

CHAPTER FOUR( kiss me in your car )

CHAPTER FOUR
( kiss me in your car )

NATALIE COULDN'T CLOSE HER EYES.

It was safer that way; staying alert, keeping her gaze steady to detect potential threats. Yes, even in her own shower, in her own bathroom, in the apartment that she lived in all by herself. Vigilance is important at all times, and any FBI agent would agree.

Her eyes stayed open, despite the running shampoo and day-old mascara threatening to make them clench shut.

Vigilance. That was the only reason.

The water provided a soothing pressure against Natalie's back, and she almost let her eyelids slip, but she jolted back to life at the last second. Almost imperceptibly, flashes of dirty water and black-gloved hands pressing against her neck clouded her vision.

She blinked, and remembered that it was only her makeup.

It's just the shower.

Natalie turned off the faucet only seconds later.

At some point, she'd lost her breath, but surely it was due to the humidity from the steam, or maybe, her asthma was acting up again. Then again, she'd had a dull ache in her chest since the moment she'd woken up, so perhaps the two were related.

Avoiding her reflection in the mirror, she chose to open the small window which sat idly above her toilet; the sun nearly blinded her as she did, but Natalie refused to look away.

The time had just barely passed eight in the morning, the gentle breeze and soft rays of light doing nothing to cure her slow-building-yet-wildly-persistent fear.

Spencer was taking her on a date today.

It was silly, she knew, but her current levels of anxiety rivaled times in her past when she'd been held at gunpoint, and even that was easier on her psyche than this.

At some point, she'd managed to blowdry her stringy, half-wet hair into something less grotesque, and she even straightened the ends rather than leaving them with their typical frizzy waves.

(Why did he ask her out, again?)

Letting out a heavy sigh, she bit her lip.

Before she knew it, Natalie had her cellphone in her hand, hearing the ringing tone echoing throughout the bathroom.

There was a click, and through the speaker she heard Derek's voice greeting her with a loud, "What's up, Lovergirl?"