Chapter 12

I pulled on the tiny dress that was way too tight. A shaky breath left my lips as I looked at my reflection in the bathroom. This dress was terrible. It wasn't enough that I had to skate in front of an audience, now I had to do it in such a tiny outfit. Never once did I feel so exposed. 

"So let's see it," Eydis asked as she tapped on the door to the bathroom stall. 

I shook my head. There was no way anyone would ever see this on me. "No."

"Oh come on, it can't be that bad." 

I cracked the door to peak out at her. But in the process, she saw my dress. 

She squealed loudly as she threw herself into the small stall with me. "I knew it! It's so beautiful on you. It's stunning," she gushed as she held my hands.  

"There is nothing stunning about this." 

She shook her head. "You're wrong about that. Just look at that color on you and the cut. Goodness, it's times like this when I want nothing more than to watch you skate all day long." 

Her words gave me some confidence, at least enough to step out of the stall and look at myself in the mirror. I had never worn something like this before but as I looked at myself, I saw the beauty in it. Maybe there was room to change. There was more than what Hell had and if everyone else thought this was normal, than maybe I should at least go with the flow of it.

"You just need a little bit of makeup, but I can do that for you," she said as she played with my hair. "And maybe a fancy little updo." 

Blush rose in my cheeks. 

"Anyhow, I need to leave. Not training today. I'm going to an office this week and I don't want to be late on my first day," Eydis said as she made her way to the door. 

"If you have time, want to see my performance? I have a ticket," I said, mustering up the courage to say what I had been rehearsing in my mind ever since I got the ticket last night. I took the ticket from my pile of clothes to show her. "They told me it would be a dinner and a show."

She smiled as she took the ticket from my hand. "I would love to come." 

A smile came to my lips as I breathed a sigh of relief. I never realized one question would hold me with such anxiety. 

"Great. The show is at 6 at the..."

"I know where these shows are held. I'll see you there." She placed the ticket into her pocket and looked at the time on the wall. "But I must go now. For real. I cannot be late." 

She smiled at me one last time before leaving out the bathroom door. 

With a sigh, I followed suit. I shouldn't take any longer either otherwise I would be late. I just couldn't wait until this day was over. 

I made my way to the rink in my dress as my coat flapped in the wind. Eyes were on me as I passed people on the walkway. My little confidence that I held was now gone. I didn't want this tight dress any longer. I wanted my normal comfortable clothes. 

"Hey! Wow, looking great, Telvi," Ari said as he waved over at me. 

I pulled my coat closer to my body. The dress was too much. He was just being nice. 

"Don't cover it! Let it shine in the light. Like mine," he said as he unbuttoned his coat to show his show outfit. The crystals shone in the light and were almost blinding. 

"I like yours." 

He smiled. "Now let's see yours."

I took off the coat hesitantly, allowing the light to hit the crystals of the dress.