𝐱𝐢. look for the light

CHAPTER ELEVEN ―  2023
LOOK FOR THE LIGHT

CHAPTER ELEVEN ―  2023LOOK FOR THE LIGHT

ˏˋ°•* ten miles west of boston

        THE CALLOUSED PADS UPON CASSIE'S FINGERTIPS BRUSH GENTLY AGAINST THE FAMILIAR METAL OF HER HOLSTERED REVOLVER, paranoia blossoming within her as she scrutinises the surrounding treeline; waiting for someone to jump out at them. She'd taken it upon herself to cover the right side of their mismatched group, whilst Joel had done the same, only upon the left. Ellie, much to her disgruntlement, had been wedged safely between the two of them; flanked by their protection. Despite having only a meagre switchblade upon her person, the girl had been the most at ease throughout their journey.

The trio of survivors had set off on their journey hours ago, and now, they stride down a broken, tar road, with nothing but empty fields or forests having passed them by in their travels. The harsh light of the sun now beating down upon them, Cassie had secured her jumper around the strap of her bag, letting it dangle freely as they walked. Using the back of her hand, she wipes away the sweat trickling down her forehead, silently cursing out the autumn weather for its indecisiveness.

"Holy shit."

Ellie's voice cuts through the silence of their travels, immediately leading Cassie to stop in her tracks — coming to a stop beside the girl. A pang of concern shooting through her veins, her gaze darts over, expecting that the younger girl had seen something dangerous. However, her nerves calm when she finds what had caused Ellie's exclamation. Perched in the field beside them, the wreckage of a large plane was scattered, like a relic of the world they'd never get back.

There's a certain sense of light within Ellie's curious gaze as she stares adoringly at the wreck, her youthful innocence shining like a beacon as she, for the first time, sees a plane — something once considered normal. Not wanting to tear her eyes away from the vehicle for even a moment, she asks open-endedly, "You fly in one of those?"

"A few times, sure," Joel answers, his words unrushed. His pace had slowed alongside that of his companions, allowing them both a moment to simply soak in the sight before them.

Tearing her eyes away from the artefact of the world before, — a world she hardly experienced, — Cassie's gaze intertwines with the dark hues of Joel's eyes. "Sounds fun."

"Didn't feel like it at the time," Joel reminisces, though he's careful to keep his words vague. "Got shoved into a middle seat, pay twelve bucks for a sandwich."

"Dude," Ellie responds, her doe-like eyes still glistening with child-like amazement at the sight, "You got to go up in the sky."

"Yeah, well," Joel utters, "So did they."