29: JACQUART

'Questions only yield answers when you go looking for them'

"What's up with your face?" A curious Kayden questions.

I shrug in response, yawning as I do. My eyes lock with my reflection in the mirror, only to find visible patches of eczema across my face, I sigh.

"Why are you here?" I ask Kayden who has made himself comfortable on my bathtub watching as I go through my skincare routine.

"Nothing better to do," he shrugs.

I raise my brow at him, locking eyes with him in the mirror. "Today's the wedding," I remind him bluntly.

"I'm aware," he shrugs. I frown, but dismiss him with a shake of my head and focus on my face.

I splash some cold ass water on my face in hopes that it will relieve my skin from this mid-day heat.

Going over my face first with my cleanser, I start to prepare my skin for the utter toucher it will endure this day.

"What's that?" Kayden asks. I look down at the bottle in my hand.

"Toner," I reply, spraying it evenly over my face before gently massaging it in.

"What's it for?" He asks.

"Toning," I shrug, catching him rolling his eyes at my answer. "No shit," he grumbles.

"What's that?" He ask again this time referring to the next product I use. 

"Serum," I reply.

"Looks fancy," he concludes.

'For its price, it better be' I think to myself.

"What's that?" He asks again.

"Serum," I reply.

He frowns, "didn't you just use that?"

"That's a squalane serum, this is vitamin C," I explain.

"Oh."

Finishing my routine off with some under-eye patches, hoping it reduces some of my under-eye bags caused by the events leading up to this very day.

As I'm finishing up I grab the bottle of sunscreen sitting on my counter and toss it over to him. Him catching it almost effortlessly.

"If you wanted me to leave you just had to say so, no need to throw stuff at me!" he exclaims with evident amusement. "Violent woman," he adds as an afterthought, to which I roll my eyes.

"Use it," I tell him before leaving the bathroom and flopping down on my bed.

"What makes you think I haven't already got sunblock on?" He quirks his brow at me.

I give him the 'I-know-you' look earning myself an eye roll.

"Shouldn't you be in West-wing getting ready with your mum?" He enquires while lathering his face with SPF.

I shrug. He gives me a look. I sigh.

"Shouldn't you be with Ryan and the guys?" I shoot back.

"I came up to check on you--oh wait," he cuts himself off while delving into his pockets in urgent search of something.

"I almost forgot," he exhales before tossing what I identify as a granola bar towards me.

I make to effort to catch it leaving it to plop down right in front of me on the bed. I stare at it blankly.

Ever since the kidnapping incident, I found myself losing my appetite. It's been two weeks.