14 || handling business

Song: Basic Instinct - The Acid
tw : meantions of blood & violence

~ Alejandra ~

Can insanity really be deemed temporary if you're always doing the next insanely stupid thing?

That's the question that I'm asking myself as I stand in this unfamiliar hallway, soaking wet due to the pouring rain outside as I wait for someone to answer the door I just knocked on.

After our little scheme and the new found feeling in my chest that I can't put a name to, I'm doing something even dumber than illegally obtaining personal information from the main office.

I used the information I found and am now waiting outside the apartment that Gabriel listed as his main address.

All the way here, I just kept telling myself that this is merely business. I'm here for a grade and that's all.

But then there's the part of me that says how the more I find out about this kid, the deeper I want to dig in to find out more.

And I'm finding out a lot from the apartment building I'm in currently that doesn't even remotely resemble the building I woke up in the morning after the party.

This one isn't even on the same block.

Instead of the smooth marble floors along the white paint of the freshly mopped hallway that leads to a nicely polished elevator, I'm standing here on rough concrete with the off white plaster on the walls and most of the paint on neighboring doors chipped off.

Maybe he put down a fake address in case the cops ever come looking for him.

After two minutes, standing alone in this desolate hallway, I'm ready to forget this whole thing. Then, all of a sudden, I hear a little voice from behind the door.

"Who is it?"

Even though I don't know any kids old enough to talk, this is a voice I recognize.

His little sister.

"Hey I'm a.. um.." I stutter not knowing what to call myself.

A friend? Associate?

"I'm in school with your brother." I finally state.

My eyes close on their own as I cringe at my awkwardness given this situation.

"We're, uh, supposed to work on a project together."

She stays quiet while I stand here, awkwardly and uncomfortably until I hear the movement of locks being undone and when the door opens, a tiny face peeks her head out.

"He's not here."

My face drops.

Well, now I look stupid for showing up here all for nothing.

"Oh. Um, do you know where he is?"

Hesitantly, she moves her head out a little more to eye me up and down. I get a look at her silky, black curls, looking the same as mine, only darker and slightly tighter.

"He's taking care of business." She says as she brings her eyes back up to meet mine.

My brows furrow.

I hope and pray that Gabriel didn't get her involved with the shit he is in. Still, I know it's not my place.

"Alright well, I'll come back another-"

"You could come in." She interrupts me. "Wait for him."

The proposition hangs in the air silently, something in my gut telling me not to leave this girl alone here.