Home Alone

Now, it had been more than a month to their marriage and Veera and Saheer had settled into a comfortable routine. Ovi was not yet much fond of Veera but none of them really minded that. Ovi did not feel any disturbance in her schedule with her dad and the time spent with him because of Veera, so she was as cordial as any four year old would be, with her father's friend.

Saheer and Veera's friendship on the other hand was steadily progressing. From getting to know each other - just the basic likes and dislikes to eating every meal of the day together, since the both of them worked from home, they were getting used to each other's presence.

What gladdened Veera at some point was that the both of them - Saheer and Ovi really like the meals she cooked. Though Ovi would not say much about it, she would see her eagerly waiting for dinner each night.

Though it was the bare minimum and what every parent should do, the way Saheer took care of Ovi and cherished her really warmed Veera's heart. She had never known of such a parental affection. Each time she would see Saheer and Ovi bantering with each other, spending time together, it would bring a small smile on her face. Today was no different.

Today, Ovi had a red day in her school and wanted to dress like spiderman. So, there was Saheer dressing her up.

"Princess, stay still or we will be late.", Saheer warned a restless Ovi for the thousandth time.

"But papa, the costume's itching.", Ovi complained.

"And who still wanted to wear it? I had provided you an option to get dressed as an apple. But, papa ka kaun sune?" (But who listens to papa?)

"Koi nahi", Ovi teased him. (No one)

Saheer narrowed her eyes while Veera snickered. Ovi too giggled looking at his face.

"Hmm, so now if no one listens to papa, he won't be doing Ovi's ponytail today.", Saheer said indifferently.

Ovi's eyes widened at that. She wanted to look good as always and she knew only her papa would help her with that.

"Sorry papa.", Ovi said in a sweet voice, her innocent gaze directed at her papa.

Saheer and Veera chuckled at the sweet girl. He took Ovi within his arms and got her ready for her school.

It was in the afternoon now that Ovi returned home. They were all sat on the dining table having their lunch while Ovi blabbered all that happened in her school today.

"And Vihaan was dressed as an apple. If I would have done so, he would have called me a copycat.", she said shaking her head.

"Alright, my drama queen. You win.", Saheer accepted. Ovi giggled at her papa's dramatic expressions.

Saheer got a call and he excused himself leaving Veera and Ovi on the dining table. Ovi wanted a second serving of the pulao rice but was unable to take it by herself. She glanced towards Veera who was already looking at her.

(Pulao is a rice dish, whose recipe usually involves cooking in stock or broth, adding spices, and other ingredients such as vegetables or meat)

"You want me to serve?", Veera questioned her.

Ovi glanced towards the rice and then towards Veera and nodded. Veera smiled warmly and served her.

"Thank you aunty.", Ovi said, not looking at her but immediately attacking the food in her plate.

This was the nature of their conversation or basically their entire interaction - brief, yet respectful.

"Uhm, we have a problem.", a distressed Saheer entered the dining space.