7. Lesson Learned

I pride myself on being patient, but right now, it's wearing thin

I pride myself on being patient, but right now, it's wearing thin. Peyton is absolutely breath-taking with her sunflower locks in a thick, pretty braid that frames her adorable face. The makeup she wears makes her velvets appear deeper and more inviting. And her little dress shows off her gorgeous legs. I'm scanning her, storing everything in my mind. All I want is to throw her over my shoulder and make her sit next to me to talk all night long.

When my eyes had landed on her because Kid had wanted to go over to her, I decided not to mess up again. I want this woman. After talking to Shimmy and the guys about her, they urged me to go for it.

Peyton and her friend Olivia are in a heated whispering argument, but Olivia clearly wins when Peyton looks at her with a stunned yet hopeful expression. Olivia gives a large smile, and I already know the guys are going to be all over her. She's beautiful, but Peyton ignites a fire in me. To me, she's the most stunning thing that's walked the earth.

They both come back over, and Peyton gives me a shy look. "We'd love to have dinner with you."

I smile. "Good. After you ladies."

I open the door for them, and Olivia winks at me. I instantly come next to Peyton, putting my hand on her back, ushering her towards our table. Mel notices this time and gives me a warning look while drying a glass. I nod at him, and he gives one in return. Mel knows me well, and he knows I'm different.

Peyton seems nervous when we reach our table. My guys all have the exact insane smiles on their faces.

"Peyton, you remember Shimmy."

Shimmy winks at her. "Nice to see you again. Peyton. Save any drowning children lately?"

Peyton's nerves seem to vanish, and she gives a cute smirk. "Saved four since I last saw you."

Shimmy laughs as I introduce her to the rest of the guys, "This guy is Nathan, also known as Toothpick, because he always has one in his mouth. And this is Matt, aka Birdy. He likes to whistle and make weird bird calls."

She shakes their hands. "Peyton, nice to meet you. This is my friend Olivia."

Olivia sits next to Birdy, making eyes at him, and he's giving them to her in return. Toothpick sizes Peyton up. He's a big burly guy with a rugged beard and unkempt hair pulled back by a baseball cap. He has all the characteristics of a bear.

"What kind of spell did you use on Lieutenant Bono here. He never talks about women, and after a couple of drinks, he's been acting like a fifteen-year-old girl talking about a crush," Toothpick says as he kicks back a coke.

I pull a chair out for Peyton, and she sits down. Kid lays at her feet, earning a smile from her. I sit next to her and put my arm on her chair, laying claim.

Her velvets shift to Toothpick. "I'm not quite sure myself, but if I have to guess, it must be because I was able to guess what section of the Creed is tattooed on his back."