×12×

"Your Grace..."

I could hear the soft whispers nearby disturbing my peaceful slumber but not enough to wake me.

"The lady has clear signs of exhaustion and lack of nutrition. I believe this to be the cause as to why she collapsed."

The voice was irritating, I wanted it to go away so I could could fall back into my deep sleep. Sure enough it did and vanished as quickly as it appeared.

When my eyes finally opened, I was met with an unfamiliar ceiling. I almost panicked as my eyes darted around the room.

I quickly sat up and regretted it almost immediately as my head began to pound it protest.

I could not recall anything after the moment I had run into the Duke. I ran my hand through my hair attempting to sooth my headache before swinging my legs over the side of the luxurious bed.

My muscles ached at the movement and I looked down to notice what I was wearing. I no longer had my flight clothes on but instead a white sleeping dress.

I suddenly felt uncomfortable at the thought of being cleaned and changed in my unconscious state.

I looked around around for my previous outfit but not a fragment of it was to be seen. A small frown formed on my lips at the thought of having to buy more clothing to replace it.

Standing to my feet, I moved to the window of the room. It was still dark outside but I was able to identify where I was.

I was back on the Waisend Estate.

Relief flooded into me at the thought.

I do not know why Cassius brought me to this room when I had my own but I assumed that he just wanted to mess with me.

I was grateful that he had brought me back but I did not think that I was ready to be told off for falling on him.

I defeatedly rubbed my temples and walked to the door. I would deal with these thoughts in the morning, right now I wanted my own room where I felt comfortable and safe.

It took me a while to nagivate the quiet halls but soon I was back in the familiar room where I climbed back into bed and fell asleep once more.

Unfortunately luck was not on my side the next morning for I had overslept and was late for my job.

I my frantic panic I had gotten ready and was rushing down the halls. There were servants everywhere bustling about and if I had slowed and taken the chance to observe my surroundings I would have noticed the unusual atmosphere and soft gossip lingering about.

As I was about to pass through the gates, one of the guards on duty stopped me. It was weird because they hardly ever bothered to notice me.

"Did you see anyone strange lerking about last night?" The guard questioned.

I scrunched my eyebrows, "No I have not. Now if you don't mind, I have places to be."

"Excepted as much." The gaurd rolled his eyes and stepped aside.

"What a usuless woman, she probably would not even notice if a bird flew into her face. " I heard the guard complain to the other one behind my back as I was leaving

Ignore them Ruth, they are not worth it.

I clenched my fists and headed off to my job.

I recieved quite the scolding for being late but was let off with a warning. It was not long before I was tirelessly mucking away.

I found myself thinking back to last night. All of it was strange to say the least.

I did not know what Cassius was up to but I had enough on my plate as it was. I did not need to entertain a duke.

A speck of dirt fell onto my already filthy dress. I would have to save to get another one so that I could continue to alternate between two.

I would wash the one I wore for the day at night and leave it out to dry the following day while wearing the other.

I was worried about how much it would cost. Clothing was expensive. I knew that I would have to cut back on my meals again to make up for it.

I let out a defeated sigh and pinched the bridge of my nose. Someone up there truly must resent me.

"Thank goodness." I heard a voice nearby.

Turning my head I met the clear eyes of Cassius Waisend that were unfortunately locked on me as he made his way towards me.

Someone up there must truly resent me indeed.

"Are you okay? Why did you leave?" His eyebrows narrowed as he searched my face.

I looked away and continued mucking, "I am grateful for your help don't get me wrong, but I still do not like you."

"You are not well. Why are you working?" He grabbed the back of my shovel successfully halting it's movements.

"Some of us have expenses and thanks to a certain someone," I openly glared at him, "now I have more." I yanked the shovel away and continued doing my job.

He grabbed my wrist, his large hand wrapping around it with ease. I knew he could snap it in a second if he wished.

"Have you at least eaten?" His eyes pulled away from my face and down to the wrist he held.

I tried to pull away but he would not let go, "None of your concern."

"Stop being so difficult and let me help you. I can't have you collapsing on me again."

My ears tinged red in embarrassment at the reminder at what I had done, "I apologise about that..." I sheepishly mumbled looking away.

"If you are so sorry, then come with me to get you something to eat."

I looked back up at the Duke. I could not help but feel uneasy at his words. I did not know what he was thinking and I did not like it.

"What about my work?" I countered.

"Who dare go against a Duke's wishes?" He gave a smug smile.

"Nice try, but no. I can't afford to run off whenever I want to. I'm in enough trouble today already."

"And if I say it's an order?"

"Like that would work." I rolled my eyes.

"Now I am really curious, who are you?" He tilted his head.

"You know exactly who I am that is why your words will not work on me Duke." I successfully yanked my arm away.

"Alright keep your secrets but only if you allow me to get you a proper meal."