| 1 |

Golden (Slowed + Reverb)| Harry Styles

⁂ ⁂ ⁂

"Not everyone deserves your consideration, Mom. It was intentional, clearly." I object as my mom still continues her sob. I was more than done, seeing her overreact over something so trivial.

My "aunt," her cousin, apparently neglected her today at the mall. They got separated at a very young age as my aunt's father passed away, and since then, my mom's aunt hasn't let them be in touch with each other.

My mom, being the most affectionate person, took it up as her mission to make the entire family one; she apparently tried to talk to her out of self-respect and got ignored.

Stupid family arguments

Don't take me wrong; I love my family, but I also love the peace and quiet they rarely preserve. It is really bothersome when my mom starts crying for the smallest of things and then blames me for not crying along with her.

"But they were a part of our family, Honey. We can't just neglect their presence because they neglected ours. If none of us put in the effort to stay together, then the possibility of staying together will fall to just one percent, from the ninety nine we had."

Since when did you care about family, mom? I wanted to say.

She wipes her nose on her sleeve. Her light brown hair, which was put up in a twist, starts loosening up.

I pat her shoulder and gently adjust her hair as she continues sniffing.

"I get it, but you shouldn't be the only one making an effort. If they don't intend to stay, it's better to move on." I tell her.

"Not all relationships work in the same way. At times, you have to show the importance of having that person in your life in order to keep them by your side. No one will stay without some recognition."

"Alright, alright. Let's say you are right. Now what, mom? She's not just going to read your mind, is she?" I question her.

"I will let my sister know about it too, and then together, we can try to persuade them." She smiles.

"And if it doesn't work out?" I ask her, pointing out a possible outcome.

"Then you'll know, it was at least worth a try, and you can try harder next time." She tells me, smiling as the once teary eyes soak up and leave tiny, dried-up tears.

I agree with my mom for the time being and tell her to take a rest.

She had bags under her light brown eyes, and her face started to show wrinkles.

"Alright, sweetheart. You take rest too. You have an early flight tomorrow. I still can't believe that you're all grown up now." She says this as she gives me a hug and walks off to her bedroom, where I can hear Dad's faint snores as the door opens.

Funny how I comfort her while she cries. It is not that my mom is very selfless, because I know how selfish she is. but there are a few people she cares too much for. Like me, for instance.

Growing up in a half-brown household, I experienced a beautiful blend of cultures and values. I often found myself navigating between different perspectives and expectations, which could be both confusing and enriching. Despite the differences, I loved the fact that my parents' values and morals never clashed, creating a harmonious and loving environment within our family, most of the time.

While Dad grew up in India and came to Seattle for job purposes, Mom emigrated from London and settled in Seattle before both of them fell in love and got married, resulting in my upbringing in Portland, away from the former place.