Chapter 2

My girl, you are going away to Hogwarts soon - and I thought that I now needed to do what I wished to for so long.

You know about the great war - of bad men, of Voldemort. And you know of your parents, of their bravery, of their sacrifice. They loved animals, such as you do; your mother, however - was magnificent with all manners of creatures. Truly magnificent. She had a gift. And gifts and kindness always have a use for men like Voldemort. He had plans to build an army, not just of Death Eaters - but of all creatures, powerful creatures, not just in strength. But he needed someone like your mother to coerce every creature to his side. So it was her war effort to hide, not to be found by Voldemort.

And when you were born, and the time came, they had to make a sacrifice, and they made that sacrifice for you. They sacrificed themselves so that you could grow up knowing of the good in the world so that you could believe in them. That the world you experience now would not go from everything to nothing. 

✦✧✦

There is a little girl in a cottage up in the highlands of Scotland that day and night sat dreaming of an owl perched on her fence and a letter rough under her fingertips. To Mathilda Scamander, it would say, The Room in the Suitcase. And this letter would bring her coloured joy, a burst of excitement, a rush of adrenaline because Mathilda would be going to Hogwarts. A place where she could unyieldingly create magic, a place her grandfather had told her a million stories about. A place where she could make a family of friends, discuss the rights of mythical creatures, create potions and learn charms.

So as she awoke that day, with a Niffler, called Trumpet, gnawing at her golden ring on her right hand and a demi guise named Harp, petting her matted hair, and her grandfather working tirelessly with one steady hand to tend to the injuries of a Knarl, and saw the Hogwarts letter laying on the desk just next to his hand, she just about died.