Chapter 20

JARED'S POV

I led Anna out of the house quickly, noticing how uncomfortable she seemed. I hadn't planned to sit down with everyone and formally introduce her so soon.

"Where are we going?" Anna asked me, taking in the sight around her, focusing on the many trees that hunched over us as we exited the clearing.

I wanted to take her somewhere private where she wasn't going to feel under pressure or like she was being watched.

I wheeled myself around the corner, turning to ensure Anna was no more than a footstep behind. She looked at me intently, narrowing her eyes and looking somewhat suspicious.

I hoped she didn't think I was trying to lead her out into the forest to kill her. I was unsure how her human brain was thinking right now.

"It's just over here," I told her, stopping in my tracks and pushing a large bush out of the way, grumbling to myself about how overgrown it was. I needed to do some trimming, but this wasn't a place anybody visited often.

Gazing down at the headstone for my Uncle, I released a sigh, soaking up the rays of sunshine that were beating down on me through the small gaps in the trees. There was a small lake positioned next to his grave, a few frogs wallowing in the shallow water, leaping away for their lives once they spotted us.

"This is my Uncle Max," I told Anna, smiling slightly. "He's the one who died in the car crash that paralysed me."

Anna gazed at me sadly, taking a few steps closer, reading the engraving on the stone carefully.

Uncle Max.

You will always be missed.

There wasn't a kinder soul.

"I come and talk to him a lot. Him and I got on so well. I saw him more than my own Father really," I told her, smiling. I was comfortable talking about Max's death. It was many years ago, and I had come to terms with it, knowing that Sawyer was dead and had got what he deserved for killing my Uncle.

Uncle Max wouldn't have wanted me to dwell anyway.

"I'm sure he's very proud of you," Anna told me, moving to stand next to me, nodding. "I wish I got the chance to meet him."

"Oh, he would have loved you," I chuckled, shaking my head. Uncle Max would have teased me endlessly about being so head over heels for Anna. I wouldn't have heard the end of it.

"Jared?" Anna asked, dropping her gaze to the ground and fiddling with her fingers. "Would I be able to see you turn into a wolf?"

I was taken aback by her question, and I knitted my brows together, unsure. I didn't want to frighten her. To her, I would look like a monster. "Are you sure you want to?"

Anna shrugged, chuckling to herself and running her hands through her hair. "I mean, yes. I still can't believe that I saw your own sister turn into one, but I think seeing you do it too will make it feel more real. I keep thinking this is just some weird dream and I'm about to wake up."

I nodded, releasing a small sigh. "Are you going to run away? My wolf is paralysed, so I won't be able to run after you. I'll need help getting back into my wheelchair after as well."

"No, I'll stay right here, but I might keep my distance. I'll sit with Max," Anna told me, taking one last look at his grave and moving to the tree next to it, sliding down the bark and sitting herself on the grass. She leaned back against the tree as she nodded at me, encouraging me to shift.

"Okay," I breathed, running my tongue along the front of my teeth. "I'll need to just take off my clothes."

Anna released a small 'oh', dropping her gaze and focusing on the tufts of grass in front of her, pulling at the strands as I peeled my clothing off of myself, throwing them onto the floor in front of me.