four

You found a rope in the corner of the room that you used to replace Flowey's vines. With him no longer needing to be glued to you, you brought him to a spot on the floor where the wood was missing so he could return to the cold soil below. Your wound was still bleeding, but it had turned to a trickle at this point. Not that you stopped worrying about it; you were still pale and in desperate need of real medical attention. Next time a skeleton popped in, you'd have to stress how important that was.

Flowey popped his head back through the floor—he had left what felt like hours ago, though you had no real grasp of time. The sun used to tell you when it was, but in the Underground, that wasn't a thing. You missed the sun. You missed how warm it felt on your face, how pretty the sunset painted the sky. You missed Leon—where was he right now? Hopefully he was trying to find you, or maybe he even figured out you fell down the hole and was going to get help. Or maybe he abandoned you.

You were ashamed you even thought that, but it had been a rocky couple months between the two of you, and now that you could only sit and think, you reexamined his behavior as you both climbed the mountain. He was nervous, more so than usual. He didn't let you look in the basket. He was shaking as he gave you your food. Your stomach growled at the thought. What was he planning? He picked a spot really close to the hole, maybe he did that intentionally.

With your mood officially soured, you turned to Flowey—who had been trying to get your attention for the past couple minutes. "It's freezing down here! Can I hang out with you for a bit?" His teeth were chattering, and he looked pitiful enough for you to reach your right hand out to him. He wrapped around your arm, finding warmth in your coat sleeve as you shivered at his freezing cold vines.

"Wow, no kidding." You dealt with the cold for the sake of your friendship—he was the only nice monster you'd met, after all. "So what'd you find while you were out?"

"The monsters really aren't happy you're here." Flowey popped out of your collar as the rest of his stem was wrapped around your upper arm. He was basically eye to eye with you.

"Why do they care?" You weren't hurting anybody, or threatening anybody, or even being an angel—which they probably wouldn't like either.

"It's different down here. Monsters hate each other for just existing." Boy were you glad you didn't have to live here. "It's a kill-"

"Or be killed world, I know Flowey." You sat on the doggy bed and tucked your knees to your chest. It felt dehumanizing, but it was the softest surface and it wasn't cold like the floor.

"I'm still amazed you managed to convince the skeletons not to kill you." He sounded impressed, and you let it go to your head a little.

"Well you just got to appeal to their pride and offer your services. I didn't expect Paps to feel so bad about owing me that he'd offer safety."

"It's a horrible place, but at least there's honor. No monster ever forgets a favor, and if you do something for someone, you expect it to be paid back in full." Honor? In a place like this? "If you play your cards right, you might be able to get another favor out of him."

"How?" You took a break from staring at the ceiling in thought to look over at the flower, intrigued.

"You know, help him out all the time, look after him. He might feel like he owes you even more."

"Then could I ask him to take me to the barrier?"

"Maybe." He didn't sound confident though. You both sat in silence for a long moment—you trying to regenerate the heat that Flowey stole and him just thinking. "Are we friends?" The question came out of nowhere, and your expression portrayed that.