30| Pity the prisoner

Birthday gift to myself I guess, since I didn't get any.

---------------------------------------------------------------

REI'S POV

It's been 10 minutes since we last saw someone following us. And I begged and begged Felix to let me check her, stop the jeep somewhere discreet. But even if the goddess bent before her, my queen won't agree to anything once she has decided her course of action. 

So here I am driving as fast as I can go without putting anyone in danger. Luckily the roads are clear and no soul is in sight at this time of the night. We changed our orientation as soon as the shield was deactivated, a car in front of us and one in the back. I didn't miss the look of guilt on Felix's face at the switch.

After making assumptions about our locations, Felix began making calls. First, she called up Huxx as she knew he would be the only one completely awake at this hour. After giving a brief rundown of the incident to him and assuring him that we are alright. She requested him to call the nearest pack to us and inform their Alpha of our arrival, stay and instruct them to prepare a high-security prison cell. Next, she called Acimer to make ask him to prepare two investigation teams and that she would send him details by the morning. Then she called some friend who actually lives in the same pack as we were stopping for the night and asked her to bring a good healer to her Alpha's pack house and gave a precise overview of the injuries of all the guards and collect as many sedatives as her friend legally can in the next half an hour.

As soon as she cut her last call, I voiced my displeasure, "My queen, please." 

"What? Rei what do you mean?" She sounded confused and tired which strengthen my resolve again.

"You are going to run yourself dry. Please stop. Breathe. Come drive if you want to do something badly." I offered an alternative to her too.

"But Rei-"

"I am sorry to cut you off. But just know no reason that comes out your mouth can defend the torture you are putting yourself through. Trust me and trust our guards. Please just rest for a while, let me hold the fort down, okay?" I all but begged her to put herself first. 

Felix stunned to silence just stared at me for a few moments. She threw her head back a little and chuckled dryly as her hands freed her hair from her bun. "Now that you say it, I can feel the tiredness to my bones. I don't have to worry when you are here. I can stand back when I am literally with the King."

"Hey, you were running the entire show like a master. But master needs breaks too, I will stand in for you till you are back to your place." Even with my half-decent analogy her smile after my statement shows she got my attention. That I always love her taking charge but I won't let her run herself dry too. 

"Let me do one last task though. Then I will call it a day and even let you do all the socializing with the new people and make you carry me to bed as well." 

I could hear the teasing in her voice but jokes on her because I would have been ready to do anything if it means she gets even a few hours of good sleep. 

That even I can't predict my reaction if she didn't emerge safe from that forest or if the goddess forbids something worse to happen to her. 

That I was ready to break half a dozen rules I wrote with my own hands just to make sure this fearless woman never leaves my eyes again. 

That I am losing grip on my control and not in a good way. 

" What is it you want to do?" I managed to ask forcefully ending my spiralling thought process.