Do You Know What Human Body Contains?

The human body is a complex system comprising of so many functionalities, starting from the cell level into the tissue, and into the organs. Read through to know what your human body is composed of.

1: The number of bones in the body is: (206). The function of the bone is to provide shape and support for the body as well as protection for some vital organs of the body.

2: Number of muscles: (639). The main function of muscles is to allow a person to move, speak, and chew. Muscles also help in the control of heartbeat, breathing, and digestion.

3: Number of kidneys: (2). The major function of the kidneys is to remove waste products and excess fluid from the body through the urine, which is the result of complex steps of excretion and re-absorption. The kidneys also help in maintaining a healthy balance of water, salts, and minerals like sodium, calcium, phosphorus, and potassium in the blood.

4: Number of milk teeth: (20). The function of teeth is for mastication. The teeth help in the cutting, mixing, and grinding of the food to a stage that can allow the tongue and oropharynx to shape it into a bolus that can be swallowed.

5: Number of ribs: 24 (12 pairs). The function of the rib cage is to protect the organs in the thoracic cavity, assist in respiration, and also provide support for the upper extremities. The ribs are elevated during inspiration, while during expiration the ribs are depressed.

6: Heart chamber number: (4). The heart has four chambers, and the right atrium receives oxygen-poor blood from the body and pumps it to the right ventricle. The right ventricle in turn pumps the deoxygenated blood into the lungs. It is the left atrium that receives the oxygenated blood from the lungs and helps to pump it to the left ventricle. And the left ventricle has to pump the oxygenated blood to the rest of the body.

7: Largest artery: (Aorta). The oxygenated blood leaves the heart to be transported to the rest part of the body through the aorta making a cane-shaped curve that allows other major arteries to be connected to deliver oxygenated blood to the area of need like the brain, muscles, and other cells.

8: Number of vertebrae in the spinal column: (33) The vertebral column protects the spinal cord, and it also provides both the stiffening for the body and attachment for the pectoral and also pelvic girdles and many other muscles. It also functions in carrying the body weight in walking and standing.

9: Number of vertebrae in the neck: (7) Cervical vertebrae also function in protecting the spinal cord. It consists of seven bones stacked upon one another to form a tunnel for the spinal cord to pass through. The peripheral spinal nerves also travel through a small hole within the bones called the foramen.

10: Number of bones in the middle ear: (3) The middle ear contains three small bones called ossicles. When the eardrum vibrates, the vibrations are then passed to the 3 tiny bones in the middle ear. The function of the ossicles is to amplify the sound and send the sound waves to the inner ear, which in turn sends it into the fluid-filled hearing organ (cochlea).

11: Number of bones in the face: (14) The facial skeleton serves to protect the brain; houses and protect the sense organs of smell, sight, and taste. It also helps to provide a framework where the soft tissues of the face can act to facilitate eating, facial expression, breathing, and speech.

12: Number of bones in the skull: (22) The function of the 22 bones of the skull is to provide protection and structure. It helps to protect the brain (cerebellum, cerebrum, brainstem), and the orbits of the eyes. It also provides a structural anchor for tendons and muscular attachments of the muscles of the scalp and face.

13: Number of bones in the chest: (25) The bones comprise the rib cage and spine protect the vital organs around the chest from injury, and they also provide structural support for the body.

14: Number of bones in arms: (6) The 6 bones of the arm function mainly in supporting the upper limb and also provides attachment points where the muscles that move the upper arm will be attached to. These bones also function effectively in the joints by providing a wide range of motion and flexibility needed with the arm and hand.

15: Number of muscles in the human arm: (72) The function of the muscles of the human arm help in small movements like wiggling the fingers or fastening a button, and also in big movements, like straightening your elbow. The muscles of the human arm also help in raising your arms above your head or doing push-ups.

16: Largest organ: (Skin) Skin is the largest organ in the body. It functions mainly in providing a protective barrier against mechanical, thermal, and physical injury and hazardous substances. It helps to prevent loss of moisture and reduces the harmful effects of UV radiation. It also acts as a sensory organ like touch, detects temperature changes, and helps to regulate the body temperature.

17: Largest gland: (Liver) The liver which is the largest gland in the body helps in the filtration of the blood and breaking down poisonous substances, such as alcohol and drugs. Bile is the fluid that helps digest fats and carries away waste produced in the liver.

18: Average length of the small intestine: (7m) The small intestine is a part of the digestive system, and it consists of three parts i.e. the duodenum, jejunum, and ileum. The function of the small intestine helps to further digest food that comes from the stomach, and also helps in absorbing nutrients like (vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fats, proteins) and water from digested food.

19: Average length of the large intestine: (1.5 m) The large intestine is also part of the digestive system, and the three primary functions are: (1) absorbing water and electrolytes, (2) producing and absorbing vitamins, and (3) forming and propelling feces toward the rectum for elimination.

The entire human body works together to achieve a common goal of wellness, and any derangement or defect in one particular area affects the targeted goal of wellness. In case you're feeling not too sound, please visit your health practitioner.

For more on health tips, visit:- https://www.kedihealthproducts.com.ng