eleven

Chapter Eleven

"I wish I was there

"I wish I was there."

Rahul stood with his back against the wall, his arms crossed and his expression grave.

"And what would you have done?" Walid looked away from the tire he was pumping, his eyebrows raised in amusement. 

"I would have tried to protect you a little! What were you even thinking, Walid? People like us have no power against the police."

"Forget me — what got you working here?"  Walid changed the subject, looking up at the freshly painted wooden board.

Rahul shrugged, "Chachu and his every-other-month ventures. He thinks of a new business idea every three months and guess who gets dragged into it? Abba's useless youngest son- this one is still a cool idea. You should have seen the things he made me do in Multan."

"Then why don't you start your own business? I still remember the list you made back in school of all the businesses you wished to do; some very pretty good."

Rahul's face colored. "My own business- as if Abba is ever going to support me with that. He says I'm a failure and that I will never let him get any profit."

"Don't you earn from these businesses your Chachu comes up with? You can use that money to start your own."

Rahul scoffed, "Wouldn't he hire someone if he was willing to give them a salary? Apparently it's my duty to help my father's brother get settled using my dad's money. He uses me, that's all, while he goes drinking and playing taash."

Walid's brows drew together. "Start a side hustle, then, Rahul. Save up a little and start your own work. You'll have to prove your father wrong some day."

Rahul sighed, running a hand through his hair, "You're right... it's time I do something."

"I'll help you if you ever need it," Walid tapped Rahul's shoulder as the distant adhan caught his ears. "I'll come pick up my cycle after Isha tonight."

Rahul nodded, watching Walid as he put the old tire away. "I still can't fathom what makes you go to the masjid five times everyday — I would never go to the temple if Ammi didn't drag me along every time."

The ends of Walid's lips tilted. "For sakoon,*" he said, his back towards Rahul as he waved and jogged off.

Rahul stared. "Sakoon," he tasted the word, his head tilting. He had only just turned around to return to the store when someone coughed behind him.

Rahul looked over his shoulder, his eyebrow arching when he spotted the face staring at him from above the wall. Mahrosh' arms rested on the wall as she stood behind it, trying to balance herself atop the carton. "Hello."