55 - Something to Celebrate

Ailsa

The days that follow are much of the same.

I spend the daylight hours in Frasers arms, waking feeling fully secured and safe. I've never been so at ease in all my life.

When I was human, every new day brought new possibilities and more worries. I would wonder what my struggle for the afternoon would be. A beating from my father? Perhaps a scolding from my mother? If I were lucky, I would have a lung attack and no one would bother me besides my own, frail body.

Now, well now all I need to do is worry about growing accustomed to my new body, my second chance at a life. No longer will I exist to survive, but I will live and thrive and love.

I spend my days laughing with Gentry and Fraser's clan, watching as my maid becomes suspiciously close to the vampire named Gavin. He's handsome and dotting, seeming to stare at Gentry at any given moment.

Sometimes she would catch him, but most of the time he spent admiring her was when she wasn't paying attention.

I have the sneaking suspicion that he might fancy her. I can't help wishing her a happy future for her, a future where she will find love and happiness, as I have found. No one is more deserving than Gentry. But, knowing her past, it's likely that she will be a difficult woman to court.

She's mistrusting of the opposite sec, and I don't blame her after what she went through.

I, however, have never trusted someone as much as I trust my Fraser.

Tonight he took me out to tour his castle. It was a long trek over to it, but it was beautiful. The land he owns is magnificent, matching the land that my own clan called home.

The hills weren't as large and steep, but lower down. They're scattered with wildflowers and creeks, all combining into a grand lake in the center where the land slides down into a bowl.

We ran into a few people, vampire people, and once introduced I realized they were more members of Frasers clan. Men and women, teenagers and children. They kept to themselves, nodding politely to their leader who stood proudly at my side, introducing me as his mate.

That word became lodged in my head. Fraser's said it enough that I know it has to mean something important.

I wanted to ask him what that meant, but got distracted when he explained how vampire clans worked.

Vampires are more solitary than humans. They live on their own, but when they join a clan, or a coven, they appoint a leader to see to their protection.

Fraser is that leader, and his father before him.

After a long day of touring the panda, I grew tired. My limbs feel heavy, like they're made of lead.

That leads us to now.

I bid everyone good night through hooded eyes, and Fraser lifts me into his arms to carry me up the stairs.

Once I'm on my feet again, I blush as I pick up my night gown. I steal a glance at Fraser to see his back turned as he also prepares for sleep.

It's odd to sleep during the day, but not as a odd as sleeping in the same bed as a man.

Nothing about it feels wrong, even though I know it should be wrong. Maybe there's something wrong with me, or maybe seeing my parent's crumble has some power to defeat all that they've taught me. How can being so close to Fraser be wrong when they also thought being born with a disease was wrong? Nothing else they said was true, so why should I listen to this small thing?