Chapter Thirty: Silver Linings

The dinner party was over. That much was clear even before David said it. Cate looked around at the table, at her guests. Miss Maddox looked scared. The vicar and Baxter looked embarrassed. There was nothing polite or proper to say at this moment, because it was not a polite or proper situation, but she tried anyway, because there seemed to be nothing else she could do.

"I'm sorry. It seems my husband isn't feeling well. I will have your coaches called, Mr Maddox, Reverend. And perhaps we should all return to the drawing room while we wait. Does anyone want coffee?"

There was a prolonged silence.

"I would like a coffee," Baxter said. "Thank you."

That set the wheels in motion, somehow. The chairs scraped back, the people stood, and everyone shuffled along to the drawing room. On the way, Cate told a servant to have the coaches prepared. She moved as though in a dream, feeling nothing, not fear, not anger, not sadness, only a sense of urgency about practical matters: ordering the coffee, pouring the coffee, making sure everyone had a cup though the only person who drank it was Baxter. Laurie had brought a glass of wine from the dining room with her and was sipping it while looking interestedly at everyone around her.

"The coaches will be ready soon," Cate said.

"And did you order mine?" Mrs Demery asked. "I wish to leave. I am tired, and it has been an unpleasant night."

"I didn't." Cate looked wistfully at Laurie. She was the closest person to a friend Cate had in the room right now. Cate did not want to be left alone with her parents and Sarah. "I will do it now."

She stood again and went to the bell and arranged for it. At the very least, it ate up several moments of silence. Her parents were saying nothing now. They stood apart from the others. Sir William's mouth was downturned. Lady Balley's eyes were bright with anger. It seemed that David's leaving had reminded them of the publicness of their squabble. No doubt when all the guests were gone, they would start up again. Cate shivered inside. When would David be back? Where had he even gone?

Miss Maddox, hovering at the edge of a settee, looked like a startled deer. She could not meet anyone's eyes, and kept looking desperately to the door. Cate hoped her coach would arrive soon. Her brother sat near her, looking more confused than anything else.

"I don't understand what we're supposed to do now," he said. "Demery is gone. Our host is gone."

"We are to go home," the vicar said. "It seems Captain Demery is, uh, under the weather."

Judging by how fast the front door had slammed, quite literally, Cate thought. Every now and then the wind crackled against the windows, but it was not raining. Nevertheless, he was wearing only thin-soled evening shoes and had no coat. He would be cold.

"He will be back," Laurie said, looking directly at Sarah. "I would rather be here when he returns. But perhaps I would be overstaying my welcome?"

"You're welcome to stay," Cate said, trying not to sound too eager.

"It has been a horrid evening and I wish to go," Mrs Demery said. "As soon as our coach is ready, we are leaving."

Laurie sighed heavily. "As you wish, Mother. Though I don't think it was entirely a horrid evening. Sort of stormy with silver linings, I would say."

"It is not storming," the vicar said helpfully. "Just a sharp breeze now and then."

Laurie looked pityingly at him. "You are quite correct."

Paul sat on another couch with Annabelle, looking rather green. "I cannot share your enjoyment in scandal, Laurie," he said. "I am very sorry, Catherine, that your first real dinner should end in such... such..."