Chapter Two

As Shu Haolin got a good look at the young woman in front of her, her brows fell, and the muscles that had tensed up gradually released. They weren't the same person. The person in front of her seemed to have a pool of icy water in her eyes, whereas the eyes of her savior back then had seemed to be warm, like the first breeze of spring that stroked across the soil and coaxed out the first growth of the year.

Shu Haolin recognized the young woman in front of her. She stood up and cupped her hands in respect, bowing slightly, thinking quickly to cover up her awkward and abrupt reaction.

"I haven't seen you since you spoke up for me and my little brother on my first day here. I've always wanted to say thank you. Why don't I invite you to a meal as a thank you for your kindness?" She offered.

The young woman nodded, saying only, "Mn," before sitting down.

"What's your name?" Shu Haolin spoke up to fill in the silence that stretched out after she ordered the dishes.

The teacup in the young woman's hand paused on the way to her mouth. "You don't know me?"

Shu Haolin's mouth went dry. She hesitated, studying the young woman's face, then carefully asked, "no?"

The surprise faded from the young woman's face, and her cool demeanor returned. "My name is Yu Jielan. I am the daughter and only child of Sect Leader Yu, the heir of the Yu Sect. Those of my generation call me dashijie." She explained coolly.

"Ah." Shu Haolin didn't know what to say next. Instead, she inexplicably felt a little estranged from the young woman in front of her, which made her feel surprisingly sullen. She glanced down at the table, out at the other disciples chatting and eating with each other, before her eyes landed back on Yu Jielan almost reluctantly. "I see." She added.

Silence stretched out once more.

"Then, what business brought dashijie to the dining hall?" Shu Haolin immediately wanted to slap herself. What business? Of course it was to eat!

"There was a conflict between two disciples. As dashijie, it is part of my duty to resolve conflicts within the disciples of the Yu Sect."

"Oh." Shu Haolin prodded the food in her plate, and then put some in her mouth before chewing and swallowing. So it had been Yu Jielan's showing up that made the two disciples meekly stop arguing.

Such arguments in the dining hall were frequent. Early stage cultivators were often made fun of and sometimes harassed by older cultivators who had already formed their golden cores because of the food that they relied on to sustain themselves. Shu Haolin had experienced such harassment when she first joined the Sect.

With one glance, Shu Haolin had been able to tell that Yu Jielan had long since broken through the golden core stage. Thus, when the dishes arrived at the table, they were all dishes made of spiritual herbs with the sole purpose of aiding cultivation.

"You're new to the Yu Sect. How many months have you been here?"

As soon as Yu Jielan spoke, Shu Haolin hurriedly clattered down her chopsticks and swallowed as quickly as she could, almost choking. "It's been around five months, now." There was another pause. Shu Haolin's fingers twitched towards her chopsticks, but wasn't sure if Yu Jielan was going to speak again.

"You have never cultivated before coming to the Yu Sect?"

"Yes, dashijie."

"I don't see you in the training ground often. Who is your shifu?"

"My shifu is Sen Zhongyu."

Yu Jielan's eyebrows twitched. "I see." She said calmly. "How did you get assigned to Sen Zhongyu?"