014; midsummers

The evening of midsummers

Myra washed the sand and salt out of her hair at the back of the personnel room, letting the water flowing out of the shower wash over her face for another minute before she got out and got dressed for work. The special event required a special attire, of course. She took a moment to glance at herself in the mirror, running a brush through her wet blonde hair. She felt a little stupid standing there in her black sheath dress and nylon stockings. The dress was short, but still in a modest way, and it had cap sleeves. With a sigh she grabbed her white handkerchief scarf, tying it around her neck. She looked ridiculous, like some kind of flight attendant. It was way too clean cut for her, she thought.

"Hair up honey" Cheyenne cooed as she walked into the room, seeing the young girl, "and wow look at you little miss, you look nice". Myra turned around, laughing a little. "Stop it" she urged towards her coworker as she began to pin her hair back into a bun at the top of her neck, a hairstyle which was requested for the night for every girl working. The boys who were working had to wear black dress pants, a white pressed shirt, a black vest and a bow tie, with no special hairstyle required.

"Ready?" Cheyenne asked Myra, now standing in the doorway awaiting her. "Mhm" Myra mumbled, nodding her head before she put the last pin in her hair. She glanced at herself in the mirror once more before she followed her coworker out towards the roaring party that was about to begin. Her hair was still wet and a little messy, but she didn't care, it was up at least. Soon she saw Pope and his father lugging things off of the back of their truck, about to set the grill up. Myra gazed around, looking for her brother, but she didn't see him anywhere. He was seemingly a little late, as always.

Myra saw the place slowly filling up as the sun began to set on the sky, showering everyone with a golden hue. She greeted Pope and his father as they got their grill started, about to serve their famous oysters to all the guest. "Hey Pope, hey mr Heyward" she hummed gently as she wandered up to them. "Hey Myra, how are you?" Pope spoke back quietly, keeping his distance. "Ah, I'm alright... you?" Myra trailed. Before Pope had a chance to respond, his father interrupted him, greeting Myra, "little Maybank, keeping out of trouble I see". She laughed, flashing the aging man a amused smile. "I'm trying" she confessed. "Not like your brother, he's a pain in my ass" Heyward laughed back, stroking Myra's cheek quickly. "Dad" Pope muttered, making Heyward shrug his shoulders before he corrected himself. "Ah, JJ he's a golden kind of pain in my ass"

"Excuse me sir, do we have to shuck these ourselves?"

The three of them were soon interrupted by a gruesomely butchered British accent, making them look up only to be met by Kiara's amused grin. "Cause it might mess up my costume" she went on, making Heyward shake his head as he walked off. "We wouldn't want that now would we?" Pope questioned with a chuckle, doing a handshake with the girl stood before her. "Hi Myra" Kiara then spoke, smiling gently at her. "Hi Kie" she hummed back, gazing over Kiara, "you look beautiful". Kiara chuckled, taking a step back, "thanks but I look like a bourgeoisie pig". She definitely didn't look like that, Myra thought, with flowers in her hair and a purple tinted silk dress that made her golden skin glow. She rarely saw Kiara so done up with makeup, a nice hairdo and pretty jewelry.

"That accent was bad" Pope pointed out, relaxing a little in the brown haired girl's presence. "Yeah it was, I was gonna let it go" Kiara agreed. The three of them glanced around, taking a slow moment to breathe before it was time to work, the calm before the storm. "Have you ever seen this many kooks in one place?" Kiara asked a little lower, her hands clasped together. "Yeah" Pope sighed, gazing down towards the grill, "last year". Myra nodded her head in agreement, having unfortunately worked last year too. "We're in the lion's den" Kiara breathed, the grin upon her lipstick clad lips now fading. "Exactly" Pope huffed, glancing over at Kelce who was helping Topper adjust his tie, it just had to be perfect.