First Meetings

In exactly two weeks Ella was sitting on a small throne next to her father's, the throne room filled with servants, guards and a few chosen curious nobles. Ella was wearing her best pearly dress, and her hair was up in a ridiculous hairdo. She had to present herself like a lamb to slaughter. The nobles from Great Tundra were close, everybody knew that. They were travelling on heavy horses, all of them warriors. Ella had kept her ear to the door all the time, trying to get a glimpse of the savages from the stories. She would soon see.

The servants opened the heavy door as the trumpets blared. They were here.

The smell of the forest entered first. It was fresh but earthy, so different from the perfume surrounding them every day. Then the real anterage entered.

A wave of imposing figures was much smaller than she had thought, but they seemed so different and commanding that it seemed like they took over the entire room. They were wearing skin from animal heads on top of their heads, so it almost looked like wild animals entered instead of people. There were deer, panthers, tigers and wolves. The man leading the charge was wearing a brown bear fur, his face hidden and painted right below it. The rest of his outfit was made from animal hide and die, covering his whole body. Just his face was visible, his dark eyes that were staring right at the king. The atmosphere got dangerous. The guards around the room tightened their grips on the halabards.

Vasil rose from his throne, opening his arms in a welcoming gesture.

"Welcome." He announced loudly. The Tundrians were so quiet that if she couldn't see them, she wouldn't even know they were there. "Welcome to Brivania. It's an honour to see you here, Sav'kaie'm."

Some of the animals giggled. Vasil didn't show that it irritated him, but his eyelid twitched. The Bear spoke up, chuckling.

"Your pronunciation desires much." He started . His voice was deep and growl-like, but the words were clear. "But I thank you, King Vasil. We are glad to be your guests. Allow me to introduce my firstborn. Kave'le'aha."

The name sounded more like an animal sound, not at all how his name sounded in Vasil's mouth. Wild. Unpronounceable by anyone who wasn't a Tundrian.

The imposing warrior on the King's right hand stepped forward. He was taller than his father, a black wolf hide on top of his head. He was similarly covered from head to toe in leather armor, his face donned in tattoos.

He put a hand on the leather on his heart, giving a curt nod. He was muscular and looked powerful. Ella hated that. He was like a brute, a barely restrained wild animal. She couldn't deny him a certain charm, a beauty within the brutality. It was hard to tell under all the skins and furs, but she had that feel when she looked at how the man was holding himself.

"Welcome. Here is my daughter, Ella Sabine Van Sal." Vasil extended his hand and she rose from her throne, curtseying quickly. All eyes fell on her, along with those of her future husband. His eyes were dark as he regarded her from head to toe. She felt like a piece of meat. It was her cue to speak.

"I am most delighted to see you here." She said with a gentle nod. "And I am eager for our courting to begin."

Kave'le'aha said nothing, but gestured towards one of the warriors to the side, who was holding something. The man stepped forward, presenting a leather clad pack.

"A gift for the princess." Sav'kaie'm said instead of his son. "A bow, created by our finest craftsmen."

The warrior got on one knee, presenting the gift. Vasil nodded towards one of the servants to take it. He did so, taking it onto a pillow and heading to stand by the wall.

"Stop!" Sav'kaie'm exclaimed wrathfully. "It's for the princess! Don't take it for yourself!"

The servant froze. Vasil gestured for him to hand it to Ella against the protocol. It shouldn't be like this. She shouldn't actually be examining her gift in front of the whole ballroom. She took the bow, inspecting it. It was masterfully crafted and very light. She would love to take it for a spin, but she would have to wait until she was alone. Ladies weren't supposed to hunt or shoot bows. Didn't mean she wouldn't.