Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

The exam was postponed due to a heavy rainfall and a typhoon. Our adviser informed us that today's class had been cancelled. It was too late. We received the notice in the classroom. I was relieved and somehow, disappointed. I only had two hours of sleep and I woke up three in the morning just to study for the first subject we're going to take. 

Wala akong maayos na tulog, ilang araw na. But I feel relieved that I still have the time to study some topics I was unfamiliar with. I wasn't prepared for today's exam and almost accepted the fate of failing although it means I'm going to meet disappointments.

Before that day, Emjae decided to study with me. This time, she was the one to visit my boarding house. Compared to her room, my room was smaller. It has already a restroom and the kitchen was in the back of the landlady's house, which is right next to mine. Hindi kami kakasya sa kama. I only have a single bed, but she insisted. Gusto niyang bisitahin ang room ko.

We slept together. Hindi ko alam kung paano kami nagkasya. I was still awake at twelve in the morning. Emjae was not at all studying. She was simply giggling as she scrolled through social media, even engaging in self-talk. Even so, I didn't stop her. I just concentrated on my homework. Parang babagsak na 'yung utak ko and I only have three hours of sleep. Gigising pa ako ng alas-tres. Maybe, I was having a hard time because I kept on procrastinating these past few days. Now, the weight of pressure burdens me more.

Who was to blame?

Myself.

I deserved what I did. Therefore, I should face the consequences.

"Dude. Matulog ka na kaya? Kanina ka pa diyan."

Emjae was comfortably lying on my bed, watching me, while holding her phone.

"Ikaw. Mag-aral ka na kaya? Kanina ka pa diyan." I fired back.

Emjae yawned and smiled at me. "Mamaya na lang ako mag-aaral."

"Anong mamaya? Eh mamaya na 'yung exam?"

She asked me to help me with these math lessons, yet she never learned anything from me. Her life's too simple to be lying on my bed, wondering what tomorrow's lunch could be. She sat on my bed, watching me, smiling.

"I'm a diamond."

I gave her a quizzical look.

"I work better under pressure." She smirked.

I rolled my eyes and continued with what I was doing. Few minutes letter, she talked.

"Let's sleep na?"

"Mauna ka na."

She frowned. "Dude, I want to sleep with you." She even pouted. I still remember those expressions that makes her look really stupid, but it always works. Emjae was the clingiest person I've ever met. She doesn't want to be touched yet she was the one who initiates physical touch. She doesn't want her hair to be touched and I like touching someone's hair. We kind of argue in that kind of stuff.

I let her do the physical touching pero kapag ako, optional lang?

"Kanina ka pa diyan. Mag-rest ka muna."

"Matulog ka na kaya? Pagod ka na."

Her feet touched the cold floor where I was sitting. It only took a few footsteps bago siya tumigil sa harap ko. I was leaning my back on the wall while I was sitting down the cold floor with my papers on my lap.

"Hindi mag-fu-function nang maayos ang brain kapag pagod at puyat. Kaya let's go. Let's sleep."

I hate to admit but her voice was sweet. It was calm. Ngayon lang siguro or that's her way of convincing me. I was tired. Ilang gabi na akong pagod. Emjae picked up my papers and set them on the desk. I thought I was freezing to death because of the long hours I stayed in one place. But her hands gently grabbed my wrists. Her warm touch made me sleepier. Thus, I didn't hold back from her touch.