Chapter 10

"So, this plan C?" you said as Marc led you through the back alleys of Cairo. "How worried should I be?" 

"Ummmmm," Marc hummed, and you caught Steven's eye in the mirror, giving him a concerned look. "It's Khonshu's plan, so..." You knew what he was insinuating. Great. "We're here." The two of you stopped by an old well, and both looked around expectantly.

"So the lead on Ammit's tomb, that was a dead end?" you asked, and both Steven and Marc glared at each other in a mirror hung up on an old sellers stall. That had been their plan B, and Marc had left earlier that day, assuring you that he'd know Harrow's whereabouts by the afternoon. Now the afternoon had come, and you were no closer to finding him. 

"A dead end?" Steven scoffed. More like a drop off a cliff, innit," Steven said and Marc grabbed the mirror. 

"What the hell's wrong with you, Steven?"

"Me? You're the one going on a killing spree."

"A killing spree?" you asked in alarm.

"I didn't do anything," Marc argued.

"Me neither!" Steven protested. "Listen, if you've got a problem with the body count, I suggest you stop listening to that stupid pigeon."

"Enough, both of you!" you cried, snatching the mirror from Marc's hands and hanging it back up carefully, as though the mirror itself was Steven, and not just the reflection. "If we can't find Harrow's digging crew, we're gonna have to stop them another way." You watched Marc slam his hands against the wall, dropping his head as he scowled. Steven's reflection disappeared; he was also in a bad mood. You pinched the bridge of your nose. 

"I shouldn't have listened to Khonshu," Marc said. "But then we blacked out. There were bodies when we woke up, we didn't..." he trailed off as you squeezed his shoulder supportively. "I don't want to be someone bad in your eyes. Not a mercenary, not a monster." 

"You're no such thing," you whispered, pressing your lips to his shoulder as he buried his face. "And I believe you. Both of you." You tugged at his arm, pulling him away from the wall, and he shook his head in disbelief.

"How did I get so lucky to find you?"

"Actually mate, it was me innit. I found her," Steven's voice said. You didn't know where the reflection was. You looked at Marc, and you found yourselves laughing at the situation as the building stress finally released.

"So? What about the other gods?" You asked. "Are they just gonna stand by and allow somebody to unleash Ammit?"

"To signal for an audience with the gods is to risk their wrath," Khonshu said, appearing at the end of the alley. He was so tall he had to duck beneath washing lines strung across the path, but his size didn't correlate to the noise he made as he breezed by silently. 

"Why? What's the worst that could happen?" Marc asked.

"Anger them enough and they'll imprison me in stone."

"That doesn't sound so bad to me."

"See how you fare against Harrow without the protection of my healing armour."

"All right," Marc said, raising his hands in defeat. "So, why are we here? Do you have any good ideas?"

"I have a bad one." Khonshu raised his arms upwards and you and Marc clung onto the well as the ground rumbled. But the grounds sudden movement was a ruse, and the last thing you expected was the sky to then move. You went from sweltering in the Egyptian heat to taking a breath of cold air as a total solar eclipse plunged the earth into darkness.